T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

Chris's Stuff.

Share your T-spline images here.

Chris's Stuff.

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 am

hey all..

I get around a little bit in jewellery circles and just recently I decided to poke a stick at Tsplines after avoiding it for ages...

I started playing with it 2 days ago and applied some of that "lurnin" to a paying job in this "Isle of Man" signet. I butchered some of the methods from your tut videos in my approach to generating the objects but .. uhh who cares, long as they work ;)

this was a longer workflow than RhinoArt but.. so much nicer..

curves.jpg

tsplines1.jpg

1.jpg

my wife is buying (has bought?) already.
great product. no doubt you will hear more from me as i ramp up the learning curve.
Last edited by Chris Botha on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Re: Chris's Stuff.

Postby Kev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey Chris,

Nice to see you over here. Nice work on that Snake ring! I haven't been back on 3dcad Jewelry in awhile.

Kevin
Kev
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to T-Splines!
Nice work.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:56 pm

heheh thanks guys.. the "ring" is actually a huge bangle.. im stressed about it casting ok.. even hollows its clocking up over 100gr in white...

On the up side the client wants two copies now :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Yikes, that's going to be a fun one Chris. Good luck with the casting. I'll be interested in hearing how it turned out. :D

Kev
Kev
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Pretty work, Chris. Welcome to T-Splines!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 am

I had a bit more of a scratch.. this time insert edge and radial symmetry commands :)

tsplines.jpg

pretty groovy
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

My wife made me stop moddeling this one.. apparently i was over focussed....

On a serious note tho.. I have never been able to "sculpt" until I tried this... I finally feel like i can take on jobs now that require sculptural type effect.. my toolbox has grown....

My first ever attempt at human form. I got stuck here .

One question.. apologies on the model but it serves as a good example of an issue I have.. when i start from a box like that, everything is "square".. how would i do this better to make her legs and arms rounded?
Attachments
edit.jpg
Last edited by Matt Sederberg on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to help keep the focus on the question asked in the post
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Chris, you Aussie guys just like to make trouble, don't you. :lol: I would approach this using a Sphere primitive and adjust the number of faces when you create the sphere. Here's where you do that. Then you can extrude faces from there to get your shapes you want and sub-divide as well.

Kevin

PS: Keep it PG rated will ya? I'm a conservative fellow. :wink:
Attachments
Chris Boobs.jpg
Kev
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks dude, I will give that a whirl.. I am running out of saves... So didn't save miss geniality up there.. Just that screen cap unfortunately.

I had hoped to port this to messiah and do my first fully fledged ik chain animation... But got frustrated at the bobbly bits. Could not get them right... And this was truly a form exercise, anyone can make a humanoid shape but to make it female or male specifically is the challenge IMO, Is there a command that rebuilds in similar fashion to rhino surface rebuild?

In the case of the ouroubus the head was a plain burbs sphere, I cage edited unroll I got the basic head shape, which left a heavy and wonky surface but quick rebuild to 20 x 20 uv and it smoothed it all out nicely, granted some stuff was lost but it was easily poked back into position by prodding edit points.

I guess I'm asking if there is a general "softener" other than tsmakeuniform? I had reasonable success by going in and deleting edges in high density areas that looked over engineered but still had that "square" look you see there.

Is it possible to grab an entire edge loop for example and "relax" it .. Say one from her upper leg area for example that would take it from being a soft square to a more oval or circular shape.

Lastly sorry bout bizarre typos.. Retarded iPad autocorrect.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Hey Chris,

I hope you don't mind my editing your picture a bit. I like to keep the forum family friendly. Besides, it seemed like you weren't having the square problem in those parts of the model. :)

I've heard that comment from a few designers -- that T-Splines lets them take on sculpting-like jobs that they were leery to commit to before.

Re: Spheres, they sometimes cause problems as a starting primitive because of the collapsed vertices on the top and bottom. We're trying to crank a quadball primitive out before v3 is released--we'll see if we get there. In the meantime, I'd recommend starting with a box. If you're using T-Splines v3, you can use the tsPull command to suck the box control points to a NURBS sphere and make your own quadball primitive that way.

tsMakeUniform is currently the only "relax" command. If it's still boxy after that, run tsStandardize to see if there are any edges that are required by the math that we've hidden.

tsMatch in v3 will let you match an interior edge loop to a curve. So if you wanted part of your model to be a perfect circle, you can do that. Also, in ts3, I think you could probably lay out much of this human using the Pipe command -- doing a stick figure of the human with curves, then making a ton of variable radii.

Hope that helps!

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:23 am

Cool! No worries on the edit,

Tspipe.. Ya that does look good. Just occurred to me that a series of circles representing ankle..knee..thigh..waist etc then lofted would give a better definition to form... I am actually quite excited bout it all.

Will poke a stick at it again after my week down the beach!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:37 am

Matt Sederberg wrote: In the meantime, I'd recommend starting with a box. If you're using T-Splines v3, you can use the tsPull command to suck the box control points to a NURBS sphere and make your own quadball primitive that way.

Thanks Matt,

I didn't know that and that's a good tip. :D I'll be using that a lot.

Kevin
Kev
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 am

no one will be paying me for this but it was a fun way to explore my new found "sculpting" skills ;)

screencap

raw material.jpg

vray render

hands.jpg

i left a howto on my workflow here.. please feel free to have a peek and critique.. sculpting so isnt my thing...

http://3dcadjewelry.com/forum/entry.php ... -T-Splines
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:47 am

YAAAAAWn.. ok enough tsplines for now.. gotta get back to the real world..

this was easier and easier to do.. similar worflow to hands, cept i projected my mouth/eyes/nose curves onto a sphere, rebuilt my sphere itself and ran "extract wireframe" to extract teh whole lot.. some trim (apparent intersections = true) and the head was basically done... the shank was similar to hands model..

test.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 am

Chris Botha wrote:YAAAAAWn.. ok enough tsplines for now.. gotta get back to the real world..

this was easier and easier to do.. similar worflow to hands, cept i projected my mouth/eyes/nose curves onto a sphere, rebuilt my sphere itself and ran "extract wireframe" to extract teh whole lot.. some trim (apparent intersections = true) and the head was basically done... the shank was similar to hands model..

test.jpg

Not sure I exactly followed how you got this done -- but I like the result!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 pm

uhh hard to explain.. basicaly drew out curves flat.. then made a domed "face" shaped, projected the curves onto it and tssplit, tsskin'd it.

(side note here.. this failed repeatedly in some attempts with "could not compute fit" or somethign similar, so i cheated, i rebuilt all curves to 2 points and degree 1, then extracted points, i used the points to make a meshfrompoints surface and then converted that back to tsplines.)(hope that makes sense?)

this method puts the right shape curves for the mouth and the eyes in the right place for a bogan sculptor like myself.. a little more input time but a faster development once you have the surface built. I am not saving much of the stuff i do now (still waiting on the department of finance to authorise the spend) so no screen caps of that unfortunately..

but i did try regular style modelling too.. this one i took screen caps of the workflow. once again I am not a sculptor so shaping stuff is hard for me.. i cheated by starting out with a cageedit nurbs sphere.. cageedit, rebuild, cageedit, rebuild etc etc then poke points around once im close enough.. finally convert to tsplines to go in after detail.

faster than it sounds.

images in sequence of instructions. I had to stop because my inability to understand human form makes it hard for me to model stuff like the nose and mouth properly so i loose interest...

images start.jpg

front cgaeedit.jpg

side cage edit.jpg

tsplined.JPG

poke and prod side.JPG

poke and prod front.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

thought i would thriw this in here.. the Isle of Man model from the previous page, cut to wax.. its a tiny head section, only 7 x 5 mm so not easy to photograph.. but fwiw here you go, I doubt i will see this finished in gold, its for our other branch.

DSC_0010.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:29 am

wooooohooo after this job my wife finally let me spend some money on toys.. my order for tsplines just went through :)

this job could have been as easily completed in plain ol rhino but i was having too much fun with symmetry...

tsplines_ring.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:19 am

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tspipe.. OMFG why didnt someone tell me about this? LOVE IT!

tspipe.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:14 pm

im getting right into the tspipe now!

started with a network of curves and 3 torus primitives.. this type of thing is usually done by hand, wax pipe dribbled onto a ring-stick.. not easy to model... it has a uniquely.. uhh.. lumpy look.. and is typically made by "arteeest" type jewellers.. usually I would pass up on modelling this type of job.

this was the brief image.. the "look"
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.97 KiB) Viewed 826732 times

and I had to draw around a1.15ct and a few smalls to arrive here

multiview.jpg

the longest part of this job was the bridging and welding from the pipes to the torus'...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 am

since im going for broke anyhow ill post this up.. not a paying job, i was trying to model a shaver..
400_F_5754671_1fhlJ4gtybRFc5iCgwPlr4jQTEgKSRvJ.jpg
400_F_5754671_1fhlJ4gtybRFc5iCgwPlr4jQTEgKSRvJ.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 826720 times

dont ask why, it seemed like a fair thing to do at the time.. into the initial stages i got carried away and turned it into a ring... i dunno.. sometimes i worry bout myself..

tsplinesedges.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 am

Chris, I can't count how many models you've thrown up in the past couple of days, nice work! Do you always churn out this many new models a day? Pipe is a nice tool. Have you tried it with Rhino history yet?
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:21 pm

nah mostly only one or two a day, I have a full time job and two businesses so I'm reasonably busy in terms of modelling, but most of these were just playing around to learn tsplines..

Tspipe is my new best friend... :)

i have found ways to cheat my inability to sculpt... i revisited the hand sculpt..

;)

1: layout curves, then tspipe
tspipehand.jpg

2: bridge internal faces
tspipehand2.jpg

3: delete remaining face, fill hole.
tshand fill hole.jpg

easy peasy...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby da6d2003 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Chris Botha wrote:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tspipe.. OMFG why didnt someone tell me about this? LOVE IT!

tspipe.jpg

LOL, tell me about it! Take a look at my entry in the last competition.

As you probably know, it wasn't there in the previous version. It does ROCK!
da6d2003
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 pm

link? I cant find a competition... (i have "man eyes" my wife says...)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:45 am

the wife decided seh is going to wear the "hands" ring.. go figure.. I make her fantastic diamond jewellery, awesome pendants, ornate custom work.. it just lays in a box.. i knockup a silly exercise and this she WILL wear..

women...
DSC_0547.JPG
DSC_0547.JPG (68.18 KiB) Viewed 826682 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 am

Nice "hug ring" Chris, thanks for sharing.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 am

Chris Botha wrote:the wife decided seh is going to wear the "hands" ring.. go figure.. I make her fantastic diamond jewellery, awesome pendants, ornate custom work.. it just lays in a box.. i knockup a silly exercise and this she WILL wear..

women...
The attachment DSC_0547.JPG is no longer available

lol.

BTW this reminds me of some chocolate hands that Juan made for us a couple years ago.
Attachments
EasterEgg.jpg
EasterEgg.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 826671 times
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

nice!

i did same thing rotating the hands before i realised the thumbs have to both be up!

I also have two left feet btw!

:roll:

ill post pics of the finished ring once its cast :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby da6d2003 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Chris Botha wrote:link? I cant find a competition... (i have "man eyes" my wife says...)

OMG, that would have been helpful huh? My wife says the same thing toooooooooooo.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31245&p=38302#p38302
da6d2003
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 pm

i posted this over on 3dcadjewelry.com thought i would share here too..

Full circle Tsplines TSPIPE workflow..

this was fun.. albeit a test of ram limits in 32bit rhino.. carefull meshing required to avoid crashes...

basic fram knocked up with tspipe, this will go into my MASTERS job bag for reuse.

Applied radial symmetry X 21 (in this case) and edge welded the loose ends after tmeaking around stone.

Mirror result over world origin with rhino history ON, tweak one claw = tweak all claws!

weld centre verts, render!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 am

i have a wife going spare if anyone wants.. no sooner does she cnc the hands thing than she changes her mind... actually suppose im lucky she changed her mind before it was commited to gold...

heart hands2.jpg
heart hands3.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 am

Chris Botha wrote:i have a wife going spare if anyone wants.. no sooner does she cnc the hands thing than she changes her mind... actually suppose im lucky she changed her mind before it was commited to gold...

heart hands2.jpg
heart hands3.jpg

The hands/heart idea was your wife's? Not bad! I like it! I have to admit though that I'm always sure my wife's preference for jewelry from me involves hearts, and I've learned she's not quite as sappy as I am :).
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 am

hehe .. ya all her ideas are good AND more importantly RIGHT.. never argue with a wife, cuz even if you win.. you loose..

i spend best part of an hour trying to figure out how to model this.. then after 3 failed attempts i fell back on tspipe.. I find that with some forethought tspipe can get out of sticky spots a bit.. the autoweld functionality is a littel funky around large amounts of curve ends but if you tspipe in sections then manually weld the pipes to each other it is a sweet tool..
Capture.JPG

octopus.3dm
(129.59 KiB) Downloaded 9741 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

and yet another ring.. onto a winner with tspipe and torus primitives ;)

ringtsplines.jpg

ring.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 am

not sure really about this one.. technicolor acid trip daisy?

flower.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:53 am

these half hoops (insert local name here) have always been a MAJOR pita..

until now :)

tsplineshalfhoop.jpg

halfhoop.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 pm

finally starting to see models come back in gold..

This was my very first paying tsplines jobby.. not a big job by any means but interesting, the ring has hallmarks virtually all around the interior and the client wanted none of them damaged...

urghhh
IMG_1038.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 am

goofy went wonky mwhahaahhaaha

started out with a pencil sketch off the web.. kinda rolled out different.. but hey! its all FUN!

Tspipe Skeleton

tspipe skeleton.jpg
tspipe skeleton.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 827547 times

and some tweaking :)

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:19 am

been playing a little more!

fashion acc test1.jpg

glasses.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby ernchesto » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 am

Love the dog. That's awesome!
ernchesto
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 pm

hehehe.. thanks. on one of my other forums their has been some debate about the dogs posture.. apparently he looks about ready to have a bowel movement ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 pm

this is a company logo, a stylised hawk type thing flipped and rotated around the band... much easier to model in Tsplines... harder to clean up in 18ct and Plat...

note because I CNC myself I dont even need to bother making it a closed object tho.. I can see all you folks that send out for RP going green.... ;)

raw casting

preclean

and finished, sorry bout the "workshop" pics.. but may be interesting for folsk that are not jewellers to see some of the process from screen to finger :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am

Yea Chris, I love to see the process!
Thanks for sharing.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Darrin Smith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 am

Your stuff is so awesome. Keep posting more I love to see it.
Darrin Smith
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm

(cleaned thread, removed all non tsplines related stuff)
Last edited by Chris Botha on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:22 pm

my second, uhh.. snake/dragon ?? project.. pleased to say this one went WAY faster than the previous one thanks to tsplines...

sometimes I like Tsplines.. the rest of the time i LOVE it!

(project will be finished in Zbrush tho.. scales etc)

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 am

finished up.. not the greatest scales but done in rhino.. heap of spheres , BD..

beauty of my game is that is i can polish the living daylights out of things to make them .. uhhhh organic ;)

dragon charm.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 am

Chris,

Great pic of the Casting. The dragon came out very well.

Kev :D
Kev
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:40 am

(thread cleaning, removed all non tsplines related stuff)
Last edited by Chris Botha on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:13 pm

these crossover sweeps are bread and butter stuff for me, usually i would do this type of thing with sweep1 history and push the profiles around, with tsplines the workflow is simpler ;)

Last edited by Chris Botha on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 am

had it cast for myself.. so i can hug myself.... I dunno.. may get me a few wierd looks down at the local watering hole...

IMG_0243.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 pm

don't you just hate customers...

I finished that tsplines crossover sweep, all rendered in Plat, presented as Plat, and then milled as one piece.. last minute they call up and say.. I want the shank in Yellow Gold.... :x :? :|

anyway all done, I will set later ..

IMG_0246.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:31 am

lady that works with me is Chinese, and after the dragon I did, she asked if i could do this ring for her, its year of the Rabbit I believe :)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (65.19 KiB) Viewed 351716 times

cap2.JPG

damn eyes and noses.. still get me....
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Saskia » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 am

Chris,
great, love it!

Is the rabbit male or female?
I am missing the information (editing your human form) :lol:

Ami
Saskia
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:45 pm

HAhahahahhahahahaha.. after my booby edit i think i wil leave my rabbit an "it" ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:20 pm

phew out the door :)

IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG (34.77 KiB) Viewed 351676 times
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG (32.86 KiB) Viewed 351676 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:45 pm

tsplines made my life just a squidgin easier with this job.. only bread and butter stuff but still.. it pays..

uhh cant seem to find the tsAutoPave command.... :wink:

ringthing.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 am

HA!

too easy.. even if this suckers shell is a little geometric ;)

turtle cap.JPG

added file , have fun.. no laughing at my turtles back ok..

file is big as a tsplines object, so savedsmall, so its wiremesh, the usual thing, :tsConvert: then :tsSmoothToggle:
Attachments
turtlesmall.3dm
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 1844 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 am

bored.. had a spare bit of time.. kids love me more now ;)

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:32 pm

sunday morning.. started out explaining to kids how to sketch faces.. then ended up here..

i dont get it myself.. sometiems my brain jsut wanders off.

anyway was fun to model, taking kids input too ;)
Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:11 am

usually if by ten minutes into a model i dont have a clue i give up..

let me share 8 minutes of FAIL! (speed = 2.5X)

How NOT to model a biplane!

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:25 am

slightly more successfull with the bug.. :)

sambug.JPG

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Adam Helps » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Hey Chris! We recently increased the posts-per-page to fifty (we've got database muscle to spare, and it seems more convenient?), but your monster thread still splits into multiple pages :). That's pretty awesome.

I'm always kind of interested in attempts to model something that fail, because from a developer's point of view, there may be something to improve there. The bi-plane just looks like a tough modeling problem, though, rather than any particular tool failure...

I was thinking it might be useful to start with [something very close to] an actual airfoil shape, like the kind of stuff that Sky is using for his wings. I think with an airplane, you really need to get that iconic shape of the wings just right -- sleek, aerodynamic, and rigidly geometric for the length of the wing itself, with maybe some small transitions on the ends and into the body. Although with a bi-plane, I think you need to make sure the top of the wings join above and independently of the body, creating a rigid, smooth rectangle over the top of the cockpit -- that means no star points on top in the center. As long as you get the wings right, I think you can get away with more when designing the body.

I've been trying to teach myself some more modeling this weekend, by the way -- I'm still a complete newbie, though ;).
Adam Helps
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi, my name is Chris.. I am a postwhore... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

actually I like sharing my learning curve.. I learn from other peoples posts so I reciprocate and post models hoping it makes someone elses journey easier..

unfortunately.. (or luckily depending on how you view it) I will fade off after I crest the curve.. probably another week or two i guess.. its my MO..

see my threads at mach forum (cnc related.. 300 plus posts.. )

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index. ... 446.0.html

or my newly created blog.. ??blog?? sounds like something you get when you dont eat enough dietary fiber ...

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/

(crafty spamming?) :wink:

and look for me also in the Rhinocam and Deskproto forums.. My post count on 3dcadjewelry is currently into uhhh 7000 plus posts.. but I regard that as home away from home.. ;)

im a bit like a crazy buzz at first, then I quickly taper out ;)

as for the fail model, my apologies.. I was not implying it was a tsplines fail, it was a chris fail.. trying to work without reference materials.. I have come to learn that its not the way to work with this type of program..

I am currently ramping into Silo.. thanks to you guys.. I would never have even cast a look at sub-d until Tsplines :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

redrew biplane, looks awesome, i used reference materials that are copyrighted to a model plane maker so I will post after checking with him..

in the meantime.. my motto.. dont give a man a fish.. teach him to catch his own fish..

friend of mien left jewellery industry and into fishing lure industry.. he was having issue scanning lures to alter.. tsplines is faster than scanning ;)

tsfishcap.JPG
Attachments
tsfish.3dm
(84.09 KiB) Downloaded 1800 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:59 am

unable to contact the person whose plans are on the web about copyright so wont post, but here is where i stopped drawing new biplane. 90% tsplines 10% BD..

Capture (Small).JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:15 am

was bored...

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:07 pm

It appears the image i worked from to make the fish has a shadow.. causing my to model a coelacanth!!!!

I am no fisherman but apparently there is no such fish alive as the one i modelled.. here is input image.. was not much to work from.. thats my excuse and im going to stick to it!

Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 351257 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Tom Sederberg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:15 pm

:D
Tom Sederberg
Employee

Postby Saskia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Chris,
after your first try designing a fish - can you go on with a fisheye (like canon or nikon)? :lol:

ami
Saskia
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:57 pm

from other forum.. excuses excuses ;)

Since the little overheating in Tshernobyl some years ago we have got pretty cool looking fish around here. This is only one example of the herring crossed with finnish ice elephant. Those "fins" you have pointed out nicely are a vestiges of the tusks...
Not buying? Shadow?

Sorry for the bad pic dude and thanks for the model to play with!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:45 pm

its at least 10% different ;) LOTR fans dont crucify me ;)

wip.JPG

evenstar.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:29 pm

ummmmm

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Hamishk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:28 am

Possum Roadkill...

New Zealanders would be happy to see that. You might be able to get a market for those dead pests in New Zealand... For those that don't know, Possums were imported from Australia into New Zealand to create a fur industry in the 1800's. Promptly ate all the ground cover so the other introduced pests (stoats, weasels, cats) could eat all the ground dwelling parrots, which up til then could
a) hide easily
b) had no predators.

Hamishk
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:06 am

LOL! this is a project of a New Zealander we share as an acquaintance.. This was my take on a rough pencil sketch, not his final project.. We got chatting on skype and he is about to plunge into Tsplines this easter as well..

Of course, if the possums are that much of an issue.. do what the yanks did.. eat them....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2e160zb.jpg
2e160zb.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 351161 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:55 am

I have finally gotten round to math models... tsplines was kinda built for this..

I redrew a dodecahedron model I did ages ago.. the model was inspird by the art of bathsheba..

Original Nurbs "frabjous puzzle" dodecahedron..

frabjous (Small).png
frabjous (Small).png (441.07 KiB) Viewed 351146 times

and my new improved tsplines version

1: interior and exterior tri dodecahedrons merged at their intersections
capture2.JPG

2: the inbetween polygonal dodecahedron
Capture3.JPG

3: the finished model.. I think i might get this grown in stainless at shapeways..
Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 am

HI Chris,
I am starting to think that you have your own army of modelers behind you with the only objective to make models and post them here :-)
Your modeling production rate is quite fast!
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:21 am

JSantocono wrote:HI Chris,
I am starting to think that you have your own army of modelers behind you with the only objective to make models and post them here :-)
Your modeling production rate is quite fast!
JuanS

I was just thinking the same thing -- for the past couple of days I've checked out your latest work on my laptop before nodding off in bed, then found some new stuff when i get in the office in the morning. Good stuff.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks guys.. ideas float randomnly in my head.. typically I start out drawing one thing then it ends up something else.. the dead opossum was an exersize (really fast and crude) for importing a tsplines model into Blender to use the sculpt tool on.. turned out I am not not smart enough to decipher blender.... ende up finishing it with tsplines and nurbs..

the dodecahedron started out life as a pedestal fan...

sometimes i zig.. then I zag...

i am doinga video tutorial on cad/cam basics with specific aim at new people in the CAM game for the rest of this weekend, so posts will be slow..

give you guys time to breath :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 am

took another poke at doggy.. tried quadball box model start vs tspipe version .. i think it was more succesfull..

the leftover half of the bottom of the original quadball can be a .. uhhh hmmm.. ill get back to you lot on that.... ;)

quadball hound.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:42 am

carnival mask .. well the beginings..

will update nurbs changes to it here

CARNIVAL MASK (Custom).JPG
CARNIVAL MASK (Custom).JPG (26.32 KiB) Viewed 350601 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 am

waaaaaahhahahahaahahha its been hinted that my mask is in fact not a mask but is a new set of glasses for Dame Edna !

dame-edna-famous-spectacles.jpg
dame-edna-famous-spectacles.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 350593 times

HA!

Similar, but no cigar!
mwahahahaahah.jpg

for those of you unaware of who dame edna is...

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:23 pm

just for kicks ill post some jewellery ;)

in truth most the jewellery I do with tsplines could just have been variable pipe or regular rhino etc, very hard to determine from a render if or why a user used tsplines over rhino... I myslef have fallen into the trap of trying to use tsplines instead of the faster rhino equivalent in some cases ;)

so I try avoiding it and rather post the stuff that is definitely not rhino ;)

in this case the vine ring is only 20% tsplines .. guess which 20%.... ;)

IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 350525 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:00 pm

this in contrast is 99% tsplines and one boolean diff after converting to nurbs...

1.4ct E vvs2 centre in plat with 18ct shank.. tiny fingersize, h1/2..
Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:15 pm

talking of tspipe....

woodgrain.jpg

grab1 (Custom).JPG
grab1 (Custom).JPG (35.07 KiB) Viewed 350475 times

grab2 (Custom).JPG
grab2 (Custom).JPG (35.78 KiB) Viewed 350475 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:29 pm

and inspiration comes from many quaters...

my friend niko for example.. bet he NEVER sends me a picture of him hooking himself on a fishhook again ;)

niko_fishhook.JPG

hooks (Custom).JPG
hooks (Custom).JPG (23.84 KiB) Viewed 350474 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun May 01, 2011 3:32 am

art nouveau. easier than it seems...

cap1 (Custom).JPG
cap1 (Custom).JPG (29.08 KiB) Viewed 350422 times

cap2 (Custom).JPG
cap2 (Custom).JPG (27.04 KiB) Viewed 350422 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

guys .. i am considering buying keyshot to use for quick render scenarios.. as you may have noticed from the last few posts ;), I have recieved a few questions regarding it..

Here is a quick demo i did for someone, figured someone may like this.. there is also a webinar on this somewhere on tsplines forum..

Mods , please remove post if you think its not relevant.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue May 03, 2011 4:13 pm

guys.. been slow going here.. I fiond I am not using my tsplines as much as I would like.. mostly using it nowadays to alter nurbs models.. to shape prongs etc... I will post a workflow on a ring i did this with to make the prongs "pointy". ungrouped the matrix head, deleted 3 of the four prongs, exploded the remaining one, tsconvert, closehole, drag points. mirror mirror.. voila.. pointy claws. of course these are render issues, the wax will have regular claws...

original.JPG
version2.jpg
IMG_1187.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue May 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Chris Botha wrote:art nouveau. easier than it seems...

cap1 (Custom).JPG

cap2 (Custom).JPG

Love this!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue May 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Chris Botha wrote:guys .. i am considering buying keyshot to use for quick render scenarios.. as you may have noticed from the last few posts ;), I have recieved a few questions regarding it..

Here is a quick demo i did for someone, figured someone may like this.. there is also a webinar on this somewhere on tsplines forum..

Mods , please remove post if you think its not relevant.

IMO, relevance is anything helpful to our users, even if it doesn't directly involve T-Splines. No worries!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Wed May 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks matt, the "howto" design post is an abbreviation of a fuller explanation here,

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... ocess.html

may prove interesting.. few more tsplines thingo's in there too :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue May 10, 2011 6:43 pm

been a bit.. the shank is a tsplines object.

this was a cancelled design project.

Ring1_Sfera.jpg
Ring1_Sfera.jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 350070 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed May 11, 2011 9:09 pm

love that tspipe to death!

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri May 13, 2011 5:02 pm

finished :)

Click image to go to entire process post.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat May 14, 2011 2:06 am

skellie (Custom).jpg
skellie (Custom).jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 349909 times
never let it be said jewellery is boring. cannot post any more on this project, its a biker club ring .. and I like my kneecaps situated where they are...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat May 14, 2011 8:17 pm

update.. my client has cleared me to post on this, turns out its the other project im on is a biker club ring, this one is jsut a biker ring.. so complicated ;)

I am only making the hands, the skull and hat i jsut modelled quickly from the skull posted in Frankenspline thread so i could guage scale and position.

The brief is to make three rings, to be worn side by side.. see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, using an existing bike ring, and adding the skeletal hands in the appropriate positions over the skull.
Capture.JPG

IMG_0274 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0274 (Custom).JPG (34.18 KiB) Viewed 349895 times

Last edited by Chris Botha on Sun May 15, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Sat May 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Wow, nice job. We've done some work starting from that skull, too.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Originator » Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 am

Very quality work. Perfectly fitted hand and a skull!
Originator
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm

I mentioned tsplines once in the video? Does that give the right to spam it here? :lol: :lol:

actually a few peopel have queried me on the process of milling, there is a "belief" that the wax is treated after milling to make it smoother, or cleaner.. these queries are mostly made by people who are used to "printing" waxes on lower end t66 type printers. The video was posted to my blog in answer to these questions so that users could see a job "hot off the mill". its going to be produce in platinum with pink diamonds.

hope you folks find it of interest.

the renders of the job etc are on my blog here

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... video.html

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu May 19, 2011 3:13 am

very simple ring.. very difficult to get it nutted out correctly.. one pice is solid, the other slides into it, in a twist motion and they lock together like puzzle, one white, one yellow.

I tried sweep1 with multiple profiles, then sweep2 with multiple profiles, then surface modelling, then raw tsplines. All methods were not giving what I needed.. shape right.. profiles wrong.. profile right, shape wonky.. etc..

so married the process.. did a sweep one with single curve along the rail.. then rebuilt the surface downwards to smooth it.. then converted to tsplines and rotated around world origin with copy and history, and poked the edge loops one by one till I got the shape and profile i was looking for.. back to nurbs, split edge, and blendsrf to cap them off.

at least an hour of doing it wrong, to figure out how to do it right in under 10 minutes.. typical... damn rhino.. too many paths to a result..

hmmm.jpg
hmmm.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 354123 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri May 20, 2011 7:13 pm

skellie's hands done.. love that shiny tsplines surfaces!

DSC_1758.JPG
DSC_1758.JPG (90.72 KiB) Viewed 354099 times

DSC_1759.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri May 20, 2011 11:31 pm

The Cross :)

Follow up on blog.

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/2011/05/cross.html

The brief was to make an ornate cross, 90mm high by 65mm wide with scrolly work in it..

I drew the base with Rhino to get us as far as a weight estimate then filled it in with tsplines for the curly wurly stuff :)

The Tsplines base geometry

A close up of the geometry layout

and the render.

Deskproto(64bit) made childs play of the 116mb mesh file...

then off to the mill.. roughing.. big ol block of wax :)

and after the rough out on three sides the final pass with a fine cutter

and finally the first cut is done, the two short arms..

here is a quick clip to keep you interested untill the next post :)

edit:

the long bit finished.. only the knuckle left :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Chris,
Thanks for posting these great images of the process!
I love to see that.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon May 23, 2011 3:13 pm

no worries.. :)

I built a few "Tcollets" some time back but have not had chance to use them yet, basically tstorus, radial symmetry and some extruded faces then weighting some edges.

not complex, hope it helps some jewellers, these collets are always crappy to make in rhino, and keeping them "smooth".

Tcollet [640x480].JPG
Tcollet [640x480].JPG (48.27 KiB) Viewed 354060 times
IMG_1220 [640x480].JPG
IMG_1220 [640x480].JPG (48.69 KiB) Viewed 354060 times
IMG_1222 [640x480].JPG
IMG_1222 [640x480].JPG (46.26 KiB) Viewed 354060 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Tue May 24, 2011 2:28 am

It's amazing how easily you seem to find the good Tsplines " arrangement "...
And so quickly : it looks like you were working each day on a different project.
I'm also in jewelry, but I'm trying to work with that wonderful software since so many months with less success than you... :(

Congratulations M Botha, I'm very impressed.
And thank you very much for sharing, and explaining how you do. :P

Olivier
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 am

Thank Olivier :)

I have to admit that i think tsplines is more suited to the way i like drawing. its more natural to jewellery and closer to the way i think about making jewllery.. bending, pushing, pulling , warping, so its 'simpler' to produce clean shapes.

The only thing that still drives me nuts is the '/' or ctrl+space key to flip in and out of tsplines mode to type commands, unfortunately im a command line heavy user so this gets me everytime..

minor annoyance tho compared to what you get back. I had a nasty shank.. well nasty to model in rhino anyhow, it was literally a 5 minute tsplines thing.
tsplines surface3.jpg
tsplines surface3.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 354044 times
tsplines surface.jpg
tsplines surface.jpg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 354044 times
johny tech.JPG
johny tech.JPG (39.64 KiB) Viewed 354044 times
Johny 1.jpg
Johny 1.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 354044 times

and just because I am perverse I will be attempting to remodel this project, using tsplines this time, last time round it was pure rhino, no plugins at all.. everyone si trying to convince me to use panelling tools for those scales but to be honest its simpler to just flowalongsrf.. And im too tired to learn yet another plugin.. heheheh

original bangle project here (and its finally finished

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... oubus.html

oro5.jpg
oro5.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 354042 times

watch thsi space for the tsplines version.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Tue May 24, 2011 10:47 am

:cry:

Not enough of my life to study your posts...
I will be very glad to learn a little bit more about how you did the dog you showed, in the post of the 28th of march.
Please. :roll:
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm

heheh .. that is the most wonky dog I have ever seen. I am sure it walks with a limp..but I am happy to knock up a quick video for you, it was a simple quadball thing, need to be bit patient tho, im on an article for a jewellery magazine right now, chewing up my free time.. maybe next week or so :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon May 30, 2011 2:19 am

this back from casting, will post finished pics once the bale si on, the bale will feature a st christopher. I am having trouble sharing larger images for some reason , they dont autoresize here, the full size images on the blog.

IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG (49.56 KiB) Viewed 353810 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Mon May 30, 2011 7:46 am

Beautiful.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Mon May 30, 2011 3:28 pm

I have been helping someone over on 3dcadjewelry forum.. sharkfin ring, regular vs tsplines.

no big shakes but it gets my post count up? :lol:

right hand ring is , curve, extrude, filletedge, cageedit.

left hand ring is tsplines. workflow time, about the same. the look? depends on your vantage point, i prefer the tsplines version.

regards
Chris

i be spliningR (Custom).jpg
i be spliningR (Custom).jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 353790 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:24 pm

quadball. push , pull, and 5 minutes you haev a pretty good shape. its after this it all falls apart for me ;) (i was only helping someone witha workflow scenario, thank goodness I dont have to add the detail)

Still two months ago I would not even attempted this type of surface.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.45 KiB) Viewed 353713 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:52 am

Hello Chris. Please, tell me who do I have to kill to see how you did the dog ? :mrgreen:

The work flow seems to be very simple, although so detailed. Was it tspipe for the body, and quadball for the head ?
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:23 am

shucks.. i forgot.. ok ill try do vid tommorow :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm

not much .. but it pays :)

tspipe rocks!

tspipe top.jpg

and some cleaning later (the noise is the iphones pathetic inability to handle environemtal noise)

and done.

IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG (34.47 KiB) Viewed 353619 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:12 pm

slightly better tsplines model to chunk into.. only the centre head tho.
IMG_1265 (Small).JPG
IMG_1265 (Small).JPG (26.23 KiB) Viewed 353596 times
IMG_1266 (Small).JPG
IMG_1266 (Small).JPG (32.04 KiB) Viewed 353596 times

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.19 KiB) Viewed 353595 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:04 am

hey guys.. not had time to test tsplines yet but I got a new tablet for myself.. retired my ipad.. (actually I traded it for a treadmill, and bought myself a real tablet)

it runs matrix 6.3 and also Sculptris and Moi quite fine.. I will upload a video fo a tsplines sculpt when i get a minute.

The tablet is a ep121 asus slate pc, 64gb ssd, i5, 4gb ram, win7 64bit.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:02 am

ok, done!

did a quick vid .. I was quite surprised at how easily it ran on the slate...
required some toolbar building.. still not perfect but pretty close... an abomination crossover of my shortcuts and my PC touchscreen interface i worked out on my main design pc.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Chris, pretty cool, I need one of those.
Thanks for sharing this videos!
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:51 pm

no problems :)

info collected here,

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... p-121.html

I love the device, its a laptop in a tablet form. Like everyone else I fell into the apple trap. design and form.. and only found out too late.. no functionality or interoperability with other real world technology, think HDMI, USB, USB HD/USB DVD, SD, Flash, camera etc, not to mention having to void your warranty by jailbreaking it to get real world use from it.

I do mill installs in the craziest of places and I needed a device I could take in and stay connected to the web. I found out too late that simply being connected to the web did not mean i could do anything usefull.. like take pictures and transfer them to websites etc. Even if you buy the camera transfer connector (usb/SD) you still cant do anything with it other than email , facebook, picasa. Try posting an image on this forum for example.... requires uploading to online server, then grabbing a link and pasting into IMG holders... yucky...

My ipad was left on the coffee table.. kids played angry birds, and doodle jump...

SO.. the day came when a friend of mine who works from a multinational engineering firm asked for my help in researching tablets (they will order from 200 to 800 units) and we researched and drove around testing heasp of devices.. FUN!!!! (cant believe how happy computer shops are to help you when they know a huge order in on the cards.)

The results ended up as follows.

1: Pc/Win7 based tablets. (slower, less slick, most usefull, ultimate compatability with other tech, medium battery)
2: Android Tablets (faster, slicker, filesystem, better compatability with other tech, good battery)
3: Linux based Tablets. (Fastest actually, not slick at all, pretty complex, medium compatability, medium battery)
4: Apple Tablets (Fast, super slick, least usefull, zero compatability with other tech, best battery)

So the firm is going to buy a big chunk of ep 121 units for the working guys, and ipads as toys for upper management.

Each device has its own strong points. I got rid of my apple, and bought the ep121, but i have to say that i was very tempted to get the acer iconia tab... that little device is NICE!

At the end of the day i went with the device that would allow me to do the most on the run.. I cannot wait for win8 with the metro ui to come out.

[edit] mods, please move to Technology part of forum, this post and the one before it, i didnt realise there was such a section, my apologies.

[EDIT2] had a few pokes about my toolbar, so here it is. please feel free to edit and reupload any cool features you think would make it more usefull for touch

(posted from ep121.. using Apple iphone MyWi for connection, dont you just love technology! ;) (i overshot my bandwidth allocation from my isp.. who would thunk you could use 200gb in 20 days...)
DSC00074.JPG
Attachments
TSplines_Converted2.tb
(99.76 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Interesting info..., Thanks for sharing.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:05 pm

oliviertij wrote:Hello Chris. Please, tell me who do I have to kill to see how you did the dog ? :mrgreen:

The work flow seems to be very simple, although so detailed. Was it tspipe for the body, and quadball for the head ?

got to it at last 8) more like a surprised monkey than a dog, but you will get the idea :lol:

i didnt do the body but, yes its just tspipe.. the head was not dissimilar to this workflow.

Capture.JPG

[edit] some while later i reopened while lazing on my couch with the tablet.. looks alittle better ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:15 pm

some tsplines wedding band action.. nice use of tsplines to quickly alter the bands into new shapes.

these will be inhouse samples to explain what types of wedders can be worn next to huge stones.

rings.JPG
rings.JPG (20.41 KiB) Viewed 353508 times
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG (34.02 KiB) Viewed 353508 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 am

Hi Chris, thanks for the videos !
I guess that with your new toy, we can ask for more... :mrgreen:

Have a nice day. :D
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:38 am

this sucker finished at last!

blog updated.

the St Christopher and chain added.

and as an idea of scale.. (and how handsome I am..)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:11 am

:lol:
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:48 pm

$%^#$^%$^#$^%^^##$^%^&%#$%$#%#$^ (the jewellers know why im swearing...)

(thats all im going to say.. thank goodness for tspipe with history and ts edgeloops...)
puzzle.jpg
puzzle.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 353417 times
puzzle2.jpg
puzzle2.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 353417 times
puzzle3.jpg
puzzle3.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 353417 times
puzzle4.jpg
puzzle4.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 353417 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm

guys, there is a full blow by blow, tsplines fitted wedder here,

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... g-new.html

hope no one minds me linking as well, the way this forum handles images makes it hard to post my images without drastically resizing them first.

I recently sold my MDX-15 scanner, it which was a great help when doing wedders.. so typically when my next fitted wedder comes along I had to reinvent the wheel for myself.. (funny how quickly you become reliant on technology)

the ring is to be "flowy" but to sit snug on the ring surface as well..

"flowy" = T-Splines of course.. fitted.. well thats another story.. so I married old and new.

I brought some pictures of the ring into Rhino and scled them, then using a tsplines torus primitive I made a band, grabbed a few edgeloops and pushed and pulled till it looked about right.. remembering to leave it a touch wider for step2.

The lovely wife them milled the wax blank for me and time for step 2, which is basically melting the master ring into the wax pattern.. this is how I was taught to do it as an apprentice.
I placed the original ring down on a steel surface and lightly warm the metal.. heat here is critical.. too hot and you destroy the blank, to cold and it does not impress on the wax.

HEAT and PRESS!

carefully you separate the two, too much force will break the wax, but hopefully you end up with a perfect press fit :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Adam Helps » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Very nice. That four-part twisted ring is very nearly identical to my wedding band :). Are you manufacturing that one?
Adam Helps
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Adam,

Nope, just an exercise to see how hard it would be :D

you can buy these all over the web,

http://www.google.com/search?q=puzzle+r ... 25&bih=839

but be warned, if they come apart.. ewwwwwwwwwww

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Nicholas North » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Chris,

Just wanted to say that seeing your current avatar (VIC-20, "The Friendly Computer") made me smile. :D

The VIC-20 was my first computer. (In fact, I still have it in a closet somewhere!) Tinkering with that machine is how I got introduced to computer programming.

-- Nick
Nicholas North
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 am

Letting your age hang out here dude ;)

hahahah.. believe it or not, in another life i learned programming, and the vic-20 was how i learned BASIC and its flavour of assembler/mnemonic code.. I quit it as the 80386 came out cuz I just got the craps with having just learned x86 ASM, Pascal and C, then the buggers add new EAX registers and new addressing modes for the registers... confusulamated me intensely.. I still have Peter Nortons Blue Bible of programming here somewhere.. (reckon an original must be worth a mint now...)

I eventually gave up programming to make jewellery because only nerds programmed and you would never make money with it anyway..just ask bill gates and steve jobs ;)

(i dabble in VB now and to tweak existing code related to CNC but thats it.)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 pm

i like em tsplines.. i surely do...

crest ring..

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

then extract zbuffer image to convert sucker to archaic 2.5 needed for the job..

step3.jpg

glad i machine my stuff and wont need to be stitching this ring together...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm

then into matrix art to lift a 2.5 shape, invert and pop onto a shank...

(added this as an after thought.. to complete first post..)

step4.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:38 am

Hello Chris.

Well, I guess you know what I think about your work, so no need to congratulate you once more...

Looking at your work, I believing you prefer working an intuitive way, but do you use Grasshopper sometimes ?
I took two day with the great Phil Shapiro in Paris to start learning Grasshopper. I didn't believe there were sooooooo many possibilities.
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Olivier :)

Thank you for the compliment, and nope, no grasshopper. I do see the value in it but I dont use it for the same reason I didnt buy 3Design. Jewellery in my case is mostly a heap of one off jobs, each unique, so a parametric tool has little to no value for me. Matrix has its own incantation of history which gets me mostly where i need to be, albeit a little heathen..

If you think generative or parametric design is something you can really use then do yourselfa favour and grab a demo of 3Design. The have their own polymodellor in it too.. ummm 3shaper I think they call it.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:36 am

watched video on organic walls in tutorial thread.. got inspired!

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... e-art.html

organic ring.JPG
organic ring.JPG (34.27 KiB) Viewed 353123 times

organic ring2.JPG
organic ring2.JPG (36.31 KiB) Viewed 353123 times

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 am

Yeh, I really do like your stuff ! I was just doing a quick view of of an architectural decor for a role playing game exactly the same appearence ! It must be funny to work with you. 8)
About 3d design and Matrix, I can only imagine, because my boss don't want to start a collection... And that's ok for me, I'll feel like commiting adultery to Rhino and Tsplines.
Grasshopper's free and for Rhino, but if you allow me, for the few I saw, you can make a defintion for one case, and use it for something completly different, since you assign the same kind of component ( curve, points, breps... ). I also work on unique pieces, and I believe GH will be very helpful. When I'll be able to use it :cry: :oops:
If I find some interesting things, I'll post. ( Not before several months, I'm quite slow to learn :mrgreen: .)
Since, if s.o hear mention of tutorials, that will help !
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 am

Chris Botha wrote:watched video on organic walls in tutorial thread.. got inspired!

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... e-art.html

organic ring.JPG

organic ring2.JPG

Wow, I like this.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:01 pm

my first t-spline signet.. (edit, actually my second) typically this would have been an Artcam style job.. I tried matrix art to firtsly draw it. (FAIL!) then i tried the method above of grey-scaling the zbuffer and lifting in matrix art (to overcome the undercut areas which would not let me boolean the negative impression nicely) and that failed too.. eventually I just did a heightfield and split/trim..

I did not take pics of the first failed wax unfortunately to highlight the failings of the 2.5d method but happily this way worked out just fine.

DSC00076.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm

done and dusted.. full article here

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... unner.html

the head halo was my first attempt at lifting micropave prongs in tsplines, and i have to admit that while it was fun its not the best way to do it, very slow.. but I am working on a job not that was MADE for tsplines... watch this space..
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 pm

For the Aussie jewellers, I have a three page article coming out in September in the printed edition of Australian Jeweller, about CAD in the jewellery industry.

http://www.jewellermagazine.com/Jeweller.aspx

and it will feature images from the t-splines cross I did some time back here

This magazine goes out to almost every jeweller in Australia, hope you guys enjoy :)

Regards
Chris
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:01 pm

some tspliney goodness.. still not able to show the big job i was bragging about but this can tide you over :)
perspective.jpg

side.jpg

all tsplines :)

(edit) added pics

IMG_1427.JPG
IMG_1427.JPG (56 KiB) Viewed 352642 times
IMG_1426.JPG
IMG_1426.JPG (49.34 KiB) Viewed 352642 times
Last edited by Chris Botha on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:53 pm

this one finished.. thats a beeeeg ol chunk of 18ct...

IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG (41.95 KiB) Viewed 352761 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:47 pm

yawwwwwwwwwwwn.. man been a hard few weeks, sorry not been posting more.. not much by way of tsplines work going down, was this little vine ring tho.

Capture.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG (49.82 KiB) Viewed 351633 times
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG (53.67 KiB) Viewed 351633 times
Last edited by Chris Botha on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:00 pm

wowo.. sometimes you jsut ave to give them what they want, remodel of load and loads of diamonds into a single ring....

IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG (34.77 KiB) Viewed 351906 times

IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG (35.23 KiB) Viewed 351906 times

to this :roll:

renderohalloran.jpg

no need for Tsplines, i jsut used it cuz i wanted to!!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 am

Wow.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby e30andrew » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 pm

wow, theres some amazing stuff in this thread Chris, i tip my hat to you good sir.
e30andrew
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:50 pm

i try hard..

.. actually my wife says im very trying...

;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:34 am

a clip I did for community at 3dcadjewelry.

TSplines TsPipe crossover ring. Quick and dirty.. At the developers, is it just me or is selecting edge loops much harder to do now?

updated blog too

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Adam Helps » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Chris Botha wrote:Quick and dirty.. At the developers, is it just me or is selecting edge loops much harder to do now?

I don't know, it's possible we broke something. I'll note, though, that there are probably five or six ways to select an edge loop -- are you referring to double-clicking? That seems like the easiest one to break. If you have some model where it seems inconsistent, we'd love to play with it.
Adam Helps
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Hey Adam, Ya I dbl click, usually it worked really well, but it seem sto be on off now, sometimes it works sometimes it does'nt. I have not played much in Tsplines since the update, maybe 3 or four models so not a biggy for me. Just noticed it in that model in paticular, you will probably see, every now and then it works great, other times i can dbl click as much as i like to no effect.. just wierd...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:28 pm

To the Aussies (and anyone else) thast interested, I scanned the article from the Australian Jeweller Magazine, about cad/cam, the article features the Tsplines cross. the images didnt get the annotations I supplied unfortunately, but it think its apparent that its a Tsplines piece.

(easier to read on Blog I think due to better formatting)

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... eller.html

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:31 am

hey folks, been a while since i posted, been busy, this was a quick clip for a Facebook group, hope you enjoy :)

(soundtrack thanks to David Parry, all rights reserved)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Chris, I have been re-reading all this topic and I have to say that all the info here is priceless! The quantity and quality of all these projects and models is stunning.
I love how you show us all the manufacturing process. You could write a jewelry book with all these,... and a really good one!
Thank you so much for sharing this.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:38 am

Hey dude, thanks, coming from you, who I hold to be "king of the hill" it's a rare compliment.

I have been pretty busy, ramping into christmas, and not much by way of splines but hope to start posting again soon :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm

bit od splines on the weekend.. been a while was nice to play again :)
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:30 am

That's a nice ring design.
Hope it makes it to the real world.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi Juan, it will, it's also getting pave diamonds above the head area, but for a client in Israel and a copy of an existing piece, this will be dual colors, half white, half yellow with a black pearl, 10% different to the original, you know, the rules of copyright ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:38 am

i refined this model somewhat for the upcoming webinar, I will make the model available to users that have registered. (in its tsplines version, and its nurbs pave set version)

Hope to see some of you on saturday in the wee early hours of my morning ;)

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/686428144

regards
Chris

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 am

Great! I'll be there ;-)
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby knead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:04 am

Sat, Oct 29, 2011 6:00 AM - 7:00 AM (GMT +09:00): SEOUL
However... Like other Webinars, To join this webinar I will not sleep. 8)
knead
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm

2011-10-29 06-54-38.389 (2).jpg
not to worry.. I am dressed for the occasion myself!

live in a half hour or so i think ;)

(dont mind admitting im pretty nervous ;) )
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

whewwwwwwwwwwwww..... that was intense.... Enjoyed that, thansk so much guys :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:14 pm

i believe a girl once opened a box and found a pod...
nice quick easy tsplines job.

pod.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 am

matching triple ringset added.. flow command wooohoooo

tripod.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:30 pm

TSQuadPlane FTW!

(i was bored... sunday night.. what can i say!.. I hate you guys for making me play with the splines again. its like drugs!)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:48 am

Here's a recording of the webinar that Chris put on with us last week. Thanks again, Chris!

Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 pm

thank you guys for having me, i only realised once i saw the clip how far we overshot the time! its true, time does fly when you are having fun!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Guys, I am getting lots of nice feedback, thanks. One of the biggest requests is the toolbar setup I'm using, many of you tried to copy it but have issues with copied flyout menu's not working right, for you guys here is a clip.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 pm

another look into production.. sneak peak as it were.. only the head section is tsplines, but i twas so much easier to make those flutes in tsplines...

design
Capture.JPG

milled wax
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG (23.82 KiB) Viewed 350300 times

casts
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG (55.36 KiB) Viewed 350300 times

cleaned up.
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG (53.66 KiB) Viewed 350300 times

assembled
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG (35.92 KiB) Viewed 350300 times

IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG (30.19 KiB) Viewed 350300 times

set images next week if i see it.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 pm

had some strange ones lately....
Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.69 KiB) Viewed 350229 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby hamed.tba » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 am

you are my hero in working on jewelery by TS man .
fantastic works .
i really like the pictures of process
hamed.tba
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:12 pm

hanks man, i dont have much time to do "process" pictures anymore, believe it or not i am averaging about 5 rings a day now, so my eyes and brain are fried... happily i only do 1 or two a week that i have to finish myself, the rest are outside jewellers so cad only.. getting lazy and fat...

[edit] had a query about why the top pic is soft and the bottom is more mechanical, i could explian about inserting edge loops but a model woudl explain it better, i lost original after converting to tsplines, but knocked up another one quick. process = sweep2 with an inner and outter rail, using a degree3 single closed curve, then tsconvert and merge some faces, then insert edges. hope its usefull.
Attachments
shank.3dm
(643.36 KiB) Downloaded 1824 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 pm

here is that tube ring thingo..

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:51 am

Nice!
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

and the other one off to casting, my wife mills all my stuff.. i love her, makes my life so easy.. draw, email, done!

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:39 pm

quick in an out heart pendant...
tsheart.JPG
tsheart.JPG (66.12 KiB) Viewed 350070 times

106 dias.JPG
106 dias.JPG (78.88 KiB) Viewed 350070 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 pm

something a bit different! signet ring bits and bobs.

take this
Capture.JPG

to make a signet
fuckaduck (Custom).jpg
fuckaduck (Custom).jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 350035 times

and .. done.. phewiee.
garry cap (Custom).JPG
garry cap (Custom).JPG (59.16 KiB) Viewed 350032 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:21 pm

this model cleaned up and avaialble in gold members section of 3dcad, i know we share quite a few users, just thought I would drop a line here :)

deer (Custom).JPG
deer (Custom).JPG (33.02 KiB) Viewed 350006 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 am

and cut..

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:42 pm

that shanky type spliney jobby, off to setting, hope someone finds the process interesting ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:48 pm

curve
pipe
explode
tsconvert
tsinsert edge simple
10 minutes of poke and prod.

gotta love them splines ;)

love splinjes.JPG
love splinjes.JPG (41.4 KiB) Viewed 349854 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:02 pm

if you wondering why pipe and tsconvert its because i needed more points than tspipe gives. faster than inderting multiple edges/
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

some rubies into thsi then its done, wont see it again :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 pm

a.. when a sweep just wont get you there... good ol splines ;)
spliner.jpg

to make this

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby hamed.tba » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Chris Botha wrote:some rubies into thsi then its done, wont see it again :)

that was really cool man .
if client want to fight and hit a shot on some body head it will be copy pasted on his head :))

all your works are really perfect
i check this gallery almost every day ;)
hamed.tba
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:23 am

thank you appreciated,

and uhhh psssst, making impressios is what this ring is about ;)

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com/20 ... -ring.html

Designed as a joke but is actually selling pretty well :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:41 pm

interesting one, and the shape of heart was flexible, so being able to tilt it in Tsplines was handy :)

16 year anniversary, so 16 diamonds, and the two kids names , and the heart of love from him to her..

cap2 (Small).JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:54 pm

watch this space, potential tsplines client, requested some help to complete a model, I use this oppertunity to show the old way, surface modelling, to get her over her immediate hurdle, but will do the followup video of the tsplines method after she gets her copy (in her xmas wishlist)

380384_242438515822265_100001683553250_622726_1956063744_n.jpg

irksome huh????

lol watch this space for tsplines version.. which i estimate to take about 3 to 5 minutes to complete.. ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:26 pm

some days i like T-Splines, other days I ask myself, "how the hell did i live without it.. "

top.jpg
persp.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Sorry i dont get to post too many renders, im too bust making stuff ;)

the heart is on its way!

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:32 am

ehhhhh... duno what it is, siamese summing or the other.. his and hers matching set of pendants.. thank the lord for cad...

will need to click on it to see, forum is not autosizing.

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:30 am

came up nicely..

Tsplines actually did make someones life better today ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:17 am

Chris Botha wrote:came up nicely..

Came up veryy nicely...
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 pm

ug these up, forgot i did them some time ago :)
Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:12 am

an intersting one.. :tsAppend: and bobs your aunty..

both for me.. the tattoo and the ring!

302613_215916831807767_100001683553250_553912_208679591_n.jpg
302613_215916831807767_100001683553250_553912_208679591_n.jpg (27.65 KiB) Viewed 348854 times
step2.jpg
edge.jpg
top.jpg
bottom.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Chris Botha wrote:an intersting one.. :tsAppend: and bobs your aunty..

both for me.. the tattoo and the ring!

302613_215916831807767_100001683553250_553912_208679591_n.jpg
step2.jpg
edge.jpg
top.jpg
bottom.jpg

Nice one Chris. Good time to use tsAppend :tsAppend: . This is the type of thing that many beginner users think should be a push-button in T-Splines. I guess it is relatively straightforward but you need to lay out your faces the right way. Good work.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:58 pm

I initially used tspipe for almost everything, simply because it was easier, but you are correct... tsappend used correctly is far more powerful, better control over fine areas..
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:55 pm

My next TS project! New body shell in foam for my Drone. will fibreline the shell after. adding some mechanical fitting areas for GoPro HD cam etc.. This job is screaming for TSplines ! :)

the existing outside shell is like so

sketched out a few ideas will model next week.. happily it just just just fits on my cnc..
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Fun project!

Does the Drone can hold a GoPro camara? (weight)

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 pm

eap, can hold around 110gr.. so need to dump the external fixturing system and add a locating thread instead... quite a fe wof them around but all work on adding more weight to existing frame, I plan to reduce weight of frame, increase strength and leave more room for the 2600MAH (orig = 1000mah) battery AND the Go Pro.. at current its not possible to have both and orioginal battery only = 10 minutes flight time.. so i want to make a construct that i can build a "skeleton" around, fibleglass, carbon fibre the construct and add mounting points..

the AR Drone 2 apparently features GPS tracking too.. I wont buy one tho.. it was hard enough convincing the wife that this was legitimate research...

also you need to be carefull because you can kiss your drone (300 bucks) and camera (300bucks) goodbye quite easily in the wind.. so think extra weight will actualy help handling, less nimble but more stability..

so this doenst happen ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:34 pm

xcuse the language.. i was NOT happy... ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Chris Botha wrote:.. it was hard enough convincing the wife that this was legitimate research...

heheh :lol: It is a very legit research. Top tech stuff.

Chris Botha wrote:also you need to be carefull because you can kiss your drone (300 bucks) and camera (300bucks) goodbye quite easily in the wind.. so think extra weight will actualy help handling, less nimble but more stability..

Yeah, I think that the extra weight will help stability. And will make video much more steady.

lol, it seems that you have always the right tool for each job. "Stuff to take things down of a tree"
Very funny...
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:39 am

Chris Botha wrote:some days i like T-Splines, other days I ask myself, "how the hell did i live without it.. "

top.jpg
persp.jpg

here is the wax from that.. the stone grew somewhat since then, from a 50 pointer to a 1.17 d vs2..

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 am

and this one based on that one... these things are so much faster to develop in T-SPlines..
rinfmarq2.jpg
rinfmarq2.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 468099 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 am

bored....
Capture (Custom).JPG
Capture (Custom).JPG (47.7 KiB) Viewed 468001 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:40 am

this is kind of advertising, so delete if you need to, but I figure I have given enough here to get away with a teensy bit of promotion.

my wife runsa seperate CAD entity business to mine doing Virtual Inventory, basically send her some pics she models jewelery, renders stills and/or turntables, one of our clients is live at the moment, and some pieces feature Tsplines models, feel free to browse around and if you think you could use something like this contact my wife at

caro@digital-jeweller.com

Regards
Chris

http://www.dreamdiamondstore.com/

Capture.JPG

click around and see the turntable animations etc :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Matt Sederberg wrote:Here's a recording of the webinar that Chris put on with us last week. Thanks again, Chris!

HA! that webinar has come back to bite me on the bum! The transcript had a bunch of my lunatic fanbase asking ridiculous questions like "Is he the Green Lantern...."

last night quite by coincidence my kids watch the movie and HAD to have a ring.. this recording of that ;)

[BROKEN VIDEO LINK: Re-Uploading this weekend]

lets hope the rumours dont start up again about my super hero secret identity ;)

FYI.. I tried this in Tspline but I am quite obviously not talented enouhg to get it right, i tried from a quadball, extruded the "beams" and tried to insert edges and tighten up the weights.. but .. well .. no go.. some stuff its jsut easier to do the good old way..

BUT..

@Juan.. dont let that stop you proving me wrong!?!?!?!?

:twisted:
Last edited by Chris Botha on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:26 pm

No time for renders folks.. stuff moving over my bench too fast now.. busy on a HUGE project with tsplines, cant say more for now, think international level ;)

in the meanwhile i did a tutorial for the new apprentice, here is the compressed version :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Nicholas North » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 am

Great tutorial, Chris!

Thanks for sharing. :)
Nicholas North
Employee

Postby JSantocono » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Nice stuff Chris,
Your kids are lucky that can have a custom Green lantern Ring!
Chris Botha wrote:@Juan.. dont let that stop you proving me wrong!?!?!?!?

lol, I think I can pull it in T-Splines..., but plain Rhino sounds (and looks) much more effective.
I may give it a try...

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby alkrever » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:52 am

HI Chris: Thanks for the tutorial. Quick question. When you refer to F4 what do you mean? Have you applied a macro to F4? or What? (my fault of course, I must be missing something).
alkrever
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi yes, apologies, Matrix assigns world origin 0,0,0 to the F4 key. You can set this in options, under keyboard or use whatever system you have now :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:13 am

Apologies to all with missing videos, I accidentally deleted one full page of videos (50) form youtube and am not able to restore them :(, I will upload bit by bit as possible, apologies.

this affect all posts since 19 December, once again apologies.

This ring is the completion of one of the video tutorials that got deleted too, I will try find the original file on my HD and repost the tutorial when i have some time.

[edit]
Re uploaded Tsplines Workflow of this

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Repost of this, reuploaded video, including new finishing video. Could a moderator please go through the other posts on this page and delete the ones with broken video links :)

Tsplines Crossover Sweep, Complete Workflow.

CAD:

CAM:

BENCH+SET:
Last edited by Chris Botha on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Another Reupload of lost videos, apologies for confusion.

CAD

Finished
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm

and a new clip, some Tsplines action about halfway in :)
front.jpg

back.jpg

and cad video.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm

nice little remodel.. 99% TSPIPE ;)
Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby jokat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Chris,
I never normally post anywhere, but I really wanted to thank you for your posting habits! You have helped me learn an enormous amount in the last year.. muchos gracias Mr B!
(A year after buying tsplines I've got my little training day on wed.. :roll: )

btw, did you ever get along with blender at all? I'm trying to find a solution to learn to model 'sculpted' forms (like a skull or a proper bumble bee or something - you know, like old fashioned clay models) and it's appealing that it is free..

Thanks again..
Gia.
jokat
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:52 am

Hi Gia,

Your kind words appreciated :)

Blender is like Zbrush.. powerful, but you need to be "special" to understand its interface.. if you have some money laying around spare I HIGHLY recommend MODO, or if it s budget concern try Silo, Glen Southern has heaps of tutorials for Silo which translate very well for tSplines as well.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Input images from existing crests.

TSAPPENDFACE:

TSTHICKEN:

Almost done:

Finished:
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am

Nice, thanks for posting Chris. I got a call last evening from someone wanting to make a similar topology - will point him to this.

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 pm

no worries, I should use zbrush to do the hair and final trims etc, but this a production model, not a render model, and realisticaly my milling machine cutter wont mill that super fine detail <50um, so some stuff like that i just do by hand in the wax, or in the final piece.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 pm

this one done :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am

been a while, been a bit busy :)

lovely tsplines tspipe undercarriage in this one :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Chris, nice design man! as usual.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 am

platinum slide pendant for a 6.2ct diamond :)
550607_362497373816378_1654114168_n.jpg
550607_362497373816378_1654114168_n.jpg (63.62 KiB) Viewed 465278 times

and this was just for fun :)
thingmajoozit.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Rehan Sheikh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 am

Chris Botha wrote:platinum slide pendant for a 6.2ct diamond :)
550607_362497373816378_1654114168_n.jpg

and this was just for fun :)
thingmajoozit.jpg

A man who works by hand is called a laborer,
A man who works by hand and by head is called a craftsman,
and
A man who works by his hand, by his head and by his heart is called an artist.
Only those who work by heart can have fun with there tough jobs.
Rehan Sheikh
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:27 am

Rehan.. Thank you. Kinds words from a distinguished peer are always welcome.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:38 pm

the 6.2ct slide finished up

image as a frame of reference on size.

20120629_140657 (480x640).jpg
20120629_140657 (480x640).jpg (175.7 KiB) Viewed 465105 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:52 pm

tsPipe knotwork on this Celtic and Ogham wedding band set.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Beautiful.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby oliviertij » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 am

Hello Juan,Matt, Saskia, Knead, Chris, and the others...

Chris, be honest, how many hours do you sleep by night ?

:shock:
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:50 am

:roll:

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."
- Warren Zevon (1947-2003)

untill then the world wants me to figure out more of its secrets, and I embrace that search heartily!

:D
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm

the top and bottom wings and the shank blend are all :tsBridge: and :tsSkin:

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 pm

easy money ;)

render1.jpg
render1.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 464591 times

cap3.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:52 am

quick clip for my apprentice 8)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:45 pm

and more practice for him.. wonder if he thinks I am a chipmonk ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

more apprentice videos :)

been a while since i posted, apologies :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 am

and its wax :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:41 am

Hey all.. not posted in ages, been upskilling on the bench so my CAD has kind of fallen behind, but I am having some time off with a spine operation so im stuck in bed with a laptop.... I got bored.. what can I say?.. wife says I am not allowed to make it tho.. too creepy apparently...

women...

roundabout method. free medical cad as reference, thing kinda winged it from a quadball and arrayed it....

peace out folks :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 am

figured I would throw this in here too. playing at rendering :) quite a few tsplines parts in the video

regards
Chris

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:59 pm

more render fun :) Tspline scrossover pipe ring, rendered in 5 view shades, WireFrame, Ghosted, Ice, Shaded and Vray full render.. and cross faded on my macbook.. Can you tell I am bored yet?

Thanks to Juan for helping me out on the viewport size issue ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:36 am

90% tsplines
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:46 pm

certainly a bit different.. almost all tsplines..
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 453299 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 453299 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am

Looks great.
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:47 pm

thanks dude :)

some simple stuff but it came up good. tstorus all the way ;)

6 minutes to draw the frame..

[edit] copped some private messages about the 6 minutes.. so did a video, cannot embed, but its on my facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=474745392591575
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:46 am

Skippy.. a kangaroo ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:04 pm

just taking the kids for a walk.. then BAM! it hits me..

T-SPLINES EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 am

Chris Botha wrote:just taking the kids for a walk.. then BAM! it hits me..

T-SPLINES EVERYWHERE!!!!!

hahaha, you are totally in!!
I feel the same!

It looks that the arquitects of the trail placed the star point on the edge to have a nice creased bifurcation! He also placed a nice T-Point at the front.
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Travis Serio » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm

someone should run standardize on that sidewalk surface to avoid having the tpoint that close to the star point. :lol:
Travis Serio
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 am

Travis Serio wrote:someone should run standardize on that sidewalk surface to avoid having the tpoint that close to the star point. :lol:

As I accelerate down the otherside of 40 I have often looked in the mirror and tried tsmakeuniform... usually response is "too many knots.. command failed.."
8)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:07 am

Sculpting is SO not my thing.. but i did find after a half hour, engraving and driving a tablet pen are actually distant cousins, I "could" develop the skill i suppose, but I don't have clients for this outlandish type of stuff..

anyways..

90% of the base is all tslines models from the Matrix library, slapped together with SPLOP over a drape.

projected a curve, some gems and beads then off to 3dcoat..

no special settings, just import, pick up pen and GO..

all up i estimate 40 to 45 minutes work.. but dont quote me, I was trying to record and kept crashing rhino so would need to restart recording.. eventually gave up.. If i do another i will setup as tripod.. 3dcoat EATS ram..

The BIGGEST advantage to doing this in 3dCoat imo so far has been that you dont constantly need to remesh the damn thing.. voxels truly are a completely different beast, chalk and cheese to emulated voxels that other sculpting apps I have tried offer.. but you pay for it in CPU cycles..

I was going for "Crown and Brains" but my brains look a tad very Acanthus scroll.. wonder which recent skill I learned that I stole that from..

anyway.. the model will go onto GrabCad later ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:04 am

ehh just couldn't leave it alone.. i was slammed on because it had no flowers.. lol!

and a clip of the import

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:00 am

My final "skull part", I think i have got the hang of mixing TSplines and 3dcoat now ;)

will be making this ring for myself :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 am

I am finding the blend of Tsplines and 3DCoat to very good! you can spend an extra hour trying to tweak a fine detail but if you treat your model as clay parts, and simply slap on parts as needed then take to 3DCoat to blend it all up is a fast satisfying result..

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 am

some Game of thrones action ;)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 am

Wouoooh... As usual.

I hesitated last year between 3dCoat and Topogun. I took Topogun because of the price, but when I see what you can do with 3dCoat, :cry: :cry:
Do you think I can get the same result with Sculptris, which is free ?

And just a question, please : when I see some of your videos, and screenshots, I'm thinking you work directly on a single mesh, and " distort " it. But in the 4'15" video, you select differents elements... But as I don't speak very good english, maybe I misunderstood something you wrote before... For example, I don't understand : "slapped together with SPLOP over a drape.", neither : " voxels truly are a completely different beast, chalk and cheese to emulated voxels". I beg your pardon, would you mind to get deeper in the details ?

I wanna be your little Padawan.
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey Oliviertjie..

I had no idea what voxels were either when i fist played with 3dcoat.. but the beauty of it is that you dont need to understand.. in the same fashion as you dont need to understand how a microwave works to heat up your sandwich.. 3dcoat can flip between voxels and polygons instantly which is the secret to its true power i feel.. you can use tools from both mindsets in the same application.. autoretopo the massive mesh back down to usable size , reimport to rhino and voila job done..

You can select seperate parts because it has layers. the fast way of seperating all your goodies onto layers is to import everything as one obj, then tick "import without voxellising", it willseperate all the meshes onto a layer each, once that is in, simply click the [S] in the voxtree to turn it into a [V] and merge the items in the tree you want joined

essential voxel are like little grains of sand, so the model cant have problems like exploding polygons, tears etc. Really jsut means clumsy oafs liek me can use it without breaking stuff. The major drawcard for me is that its interface is sane.. it looks and feels like every other normal program I own, unlike Zbrush which after three years am still no closer to figuring out.. I am glad that some people have years to try unscramble the spaghetti bowl tool system.. I however need to make money and feed my kids..

I dont sculpt directly from 3dcoat, i port my meshes, polys etc to 3dcoat then use it as a putty knife to make it all play together. rhino/tsplines is still a faster workflow to bend/warp/shift/twist the base item, then take it yuor sculpting app.. use a screwdriver to tighten screws and a hammer to hammer nails.. If i get some time I will do a clip dude.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 am

What an answer !

So, I guess that will be a go idea to buy 3Dcoat...

Thanks Chris.
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:29 am

dont buy anything on my say so dude.. think, listen, learn, get a demo, play around with it.. what works for me may not work for you?

software is quite individual to the user and his/her own implementation of it.

i recorded a clip of porting this tspline+pipe+box nurbs to 3dcoat and then apply two decals from hieghtfields and some mesh reduction smoothing and working with layers.

its uploading, be patient.
tsp.jpg

video will be live in say 20 minutes here

hope this helps dude.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 am

:shock:

You use 3dCoat as if you created this soft... It's amazing, even if speaking english must help a little bit. You gave my name to a file, I'm proud !
Thank you for your explications ! I didn't think 3dcoat can offer so much possibilties...
oliviertij
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

To be honest I have not even begun to scratch the surface of what it can do.. I needed only a very few of the tools and based on those tools alone it has paid for itself already...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 am

interesting examination on the retopo tool in 3dcoat. i use all the defaults, jsut "next next next through the dialogs and for an automatice tool it works quite well on some models!

Render

Tspline toplogy on the seperate parts

into 3dcoat for merge/retopo

and back to rhino for comparison.

notice it pops triangles into it, but the flow where one part merges into another is simply awesome for wizard driven retopology tool!:?!

you can grab the original exported retopomesh a=on my grabcad, its stl format but untouched otherwise, will convert back to tsplines happily.

http://grabcad.com/library/knotwork-ring
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 am

poking a stick at something here..

shaded.jpg

view1.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:47 am

interesting workflow on using tspipe to setup an over n under knotwork part.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun May 19, 2013 12:32 am

Using Tsplines and 3dcoat to make a signet ring.

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby oliviertij » Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 am

Thanks Chris !

The time you spend doing something is probably shortest than the time I spend chosing a name for a file...
:mrgreen:
oliviertij
Poster

Return to Gallery