T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino v3.4 Download
Autodesk tsElements v1.2 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

FrankenSpline... Open Source Figurine

A support and feedback forum for Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino users.

FrankenSpline... Open Source Figurine

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Guys.. I am tired of modelling blobby toy type stuff so I am attempting slightly more realistic models.. and I am kinda runnign in walls.. I want to model a hand because of a headache a fellow forum member is having, or just for kicks, and this is my workflow idea...

I figure that since fingernail area is probably hardest area to model right I will model only one finger, the longest middle finger, then copy multiples and of it and scale them appropriately.., draw a hand body with thumb then bridge the fingers onto the hand..

SO.. this in mind I started out the project and got stuck on the knuckles..

I grabbed this reference image,

finger_anatomy_article.jpg
finger_anatomy_article.jpg (14.52 KiB) Viewed 5417 times

did an extrude base and poked and prodded till i got what I needed in terms of shape, some extruding to do the fingernail area to arrive at this,
hand extrude.JPG

and then tried to add creases, wrinkles, over the knuckle area.. FAIL...

the whole model starts going wonky when I attempt this.. the finger starts looking like it was in a grenade accident...

In your own time (no rush, I don't make fingers for a living) could someone grab the model, and add some wrinkles over the knuckles with a few screen grabs of how you added them?

Thank so much :)

Regards
Chris

[edit]

I am the first person to advocate using the right tool for the job.. if this is the kind of thing that should be finished up in Zbrush etc just say so? I don't want a harder solution when a simpler one is available, or make you jump through hoops for no point. If its easy and I am just overlooking a simple way to add these creases in tsplines then please help, otherwise no worries :)
Attachments
martin finger.3dm
(96.07 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by Chris Botha on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Re: Hand Help..

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm

72 views, 6 downloads.. no comments.. guessing its off to zbrush hehehehehe..

FWIW i poked at this for a few more minutes this morning. its a waste of time project as i have no use for the model, but the workflow proposed above works pretty well..

copy paste bridge... all up about ten minute to from finger to hand..

I love tsplines.. so simple, but so powerfull... I am quite sorry I did nto persevere in V1... If you asked me 4 weeks ago if I would be able to modea hand.. i would have laughed at you.. now it seems easy.. even if it looks like a slightly arthritic orangutangs hand.. thats jsut practice to get it right ;)

This software must be one of the best investments I have made since i got into the cad game.. worth it at even double the price..

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Adam Helps » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

I'll just chuck in pair of cents -- I don't think it's going to be particularly easy to get those knuckle wrinkles using T-Splines. I'm pretty sure it's at least *theoretically* possible. You'd want to run isocurves along the path where you want the wrinkles, and then push and pull those isocurves to adjust them -- but really, the right way to do that kind of thing is (IMO) an offset map, or something like Z-brush.

While it is my secret desire to make T-Splines capable of doing everything everywhere, I don't currently have a good answer for how to get T-Splines doing that high-detail stuff that Z-brush is so good at. It's actually a question of speed -- the huge innovation in Z-brush is that they figured out how to do immense subd surfaces extremely quickly, and then came up with good tools that all assume you're manipulating surfaces with millions of control points. It's still a stretch to use T-Splines in the 100,000 point range, and we have some limitations from just plain being more complicated then a subd.

Oh, one other quick thought -- you could probably get those wrinkles from a texture applied to the final model after the fact. They wouldn't, strictly speaking, be wrinkles, since they'd only be painted on, but for many use cases it's sufficient to just look right :).
Adam Helps
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:49 am

Good , thanks for reply.. old adage applies.. you wont use a screw driver to hammer nails..

I had some reasonable success after converting to nurbs and using standard ffd and a liberal dose of cageedit.. .. the model was actually started to try help a forum user from a different forum who was unable to get tsplines to work well enough for him in a certain scenario..

I think application of time and energy was the issue, not tsplines :)

Personally, I think you guys should do some branding.. like intel.. "T-Splines Inside!" stickers.. I would wear mine on my pc with pride!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby ernchesto » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Nice finger/hand Chris.
So I go and download the finger model - and sit inside on a sunny Saturday for a couple hours playing with it. No regrets, however, V3 is a blast.
Anyway, attached is where I've taken it. I don't get enough opportunity to play in T-Splines, so this was a great chance for me to get into it.
Amazing file size for so much information.
Open-source-human models beginning here? :)

Cheers!
Attachments
arm_e.3dm
(131.31 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
ernchesto
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Cannot wait to see :)

can you resave in rhino4 format please ?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.25 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

also by the way I stumbled into nice anatomy reference resource..

http://www.3d.sk/photos/search/query/ha ... m/1/page/1
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby ernchesto » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Sure thing.
Yeah, my playing was far from scientific! But this seems to be a real strong point of T-splines - the ability to collaborate on models.
Attached is the v4 version.
Funny - I'm unable to toggle it into box mode...
Cheers
Attachments
arm_eV4.3dm
(329.89 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
ernchesto
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:49 pm

wow! Thanks so much for sharing that.. your arms looks quite a bit more professional than my finger tho ;), i had planned to abandon this, but i think when i have some time spare I wil revisit anatomy.. i see that teh arm, if reproportioned correctly could be a leg too.. its all a question of how you look at it.. hmm all new doorways opening...

i could toggle to box mode.. quite aggresive look in box mode, kinda like the dracula dudes body armor in Blade3
Capture.JPG

blade_III.jpg
blade_III.jpg (88.46 KiB) Viewed 5280 times

open source body model, everyone adds a part.. Tsplines frankenstein!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby ernchesto » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Thank me? Thank you! And it's certainly no more professional..

FrankenBSpline :D Yowza.

I don't know what's up with my box mode toggle...I'll have to experiment more.
ernchesto
Poster

Re: FrankenSpline... Open Source Figurine

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:05 am

I will try working on foot.. deriving the leg from your arm addon.. and reconfigure the hand into a foot.. for now i donate a pair of loafers, just in case my foot looks like my hand ;)

I invite anyone else to modify this original geometry into further body parts please.. would make an interesting project!

loafers.jpg
Attachments
loafers.3dm
(82.6 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 am

I'll contribute a skull...modeled by Juan, lightened up by Travis.
Attachments
TS_Skull.3dm
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 247 times
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby ernchesto » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Excellent! Thanks Matt, Juan and Travis.
That seemed to be just what I needed to start putting it all together. I think it's coming along really well (despite my nasty twists and creases, etc!). Chris, do you think the cobbler is available to make some quick tweaks to the loafers?

On a more serious note - I was able to use my newly learned skills from Sky's recent webinar to fix up some issues I created in this model, and many others. Great webinar - thanks. You folks are doing a really great job with them, and they're much appreciated.

Cheers!
Attachments
Frankenspline.jpg
ernchesto
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 pm

woooooooooooohooooooooooo looking great guys!

I dont want to spoil those feet man.. i think I might have to work on some things instead!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby josef1 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Thought I would have a go at an ear,well to be honest it started out as a belly button :D
Attachments
Ear.3dm
My try at an ear
(366.89 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
josef1
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed May 04, 2011 7:37 pm

weird.. being a well rounded pervert, i usually start at the ear and work my way down to the belly button ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Cave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 am

Hi!
I found this hand somewhere in web, and it is not T-spline made model, but it works with t-spline commands so we can look at the structure. Such type of structure is usual for mesh modelling, how do you think we can do it by t-splines?
http://www.3dmodelfree.com/models/26578-0.htm
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
Cave
Poster

Postby knead » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am

These forms can be modeled using T-Splines. No Ploblem! :D
knead
Poster

Return to Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino modeling