T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

Continuous Surface

A support and feedback forum for Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino users.

Continuous Surface

Postby Puya » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm trying to create a unified continuous surface out of T-spline and I'm running into a problem where after converting to NURBS, I get separate surfaces. Some of the surfaces can be merged together but usually the last remaining pieces cannot. Match surface doesn't work either and I have tries many ways but can't end up with a unified surface. I am wondering if you could guide me towards the right way of doing this..

Here as an example I'm taking a Cube, then convert it to NURBS and try to merge. The sides do merge together but the top and the sides cannot. please help.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.47.34 PM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.50.11 PM.png
Cube.3dm
(318.61 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Puya
Poster

Re: Continuous Surface

Postby JSantocono » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:55 am

Hi Puya.

How do you converted the T-Splines into a Nurbs? Maybe using Explode?
Not sure why you are getting separate surfaces after conversion... Using :tsConvert: you should get all those surfaces joined into a polysurface.
You can not merge all those surfaces into one. That is impossible from the topological point of view. Nurbs are rectangular surfaces and you ca not describe that shape with a rectangular topology. Make sense?

...but you can get a polysurface describing that shape, and that is what you get from converting the T-Splines surface.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Puya » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks Juan, I do get a polysurface after the :tsConvert: command. my problem is that after the conversion, I would like to rebuild the surface and have connected surfaces.

Here is one of the forms from the actual project that I'm working on, after conversion my surfaces are coming out broken up which makes the form very hard to work with.. Am I modelling this correctly or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Attachments
Tsplies Form.3dm
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 2.45.09 PM.png
Puya
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:15 am

You are not doing something wrong, it is just how T-Splines works...
The result from a T-Splines surface (most of the cases) is a polysurface. This means that is a bunch of surfaces joined together. The reason is a bunch of surfaces and not a single Rhino surface is because there is no way to describe that complex T-Splines shape into one single Rhino surface. That's what T-Splines is all about. As I mention before Rhino NURBS surfaces have a rectangular structure by definition, and the shapes you can describe with it is limited. You need several surfaces to describe those T-Splines complex models.

Not sure why you need a single surface rather than a polysurface, but merging all together wont be possible.
Maybe I can suggest an alternative workflow if you tell me why you need it like that.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Puya » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks for the information Juan. The reason I was trying to merge them together was so that I could then first, rebuild them so I get an even surface, and then panellize the surface through grasshopper and other panelling tools. Tthe surfaces that come out of t-splines are hard to panelize (in my workflow, there probably is a better workflow out there) since they are not even. I can get around this by rebuilding the surfaces after they have been merged. The problem is that once rebuilt, the parts don't really fit together anymore.. I would really appreciate your help.. Here's and example of what I'm talking about:

Also I've modelled the previous form again so now it's cleaner but there are still breaks between the sides and the top and bottom:

Rebuild and Panelize.png

Rebuild and Panelize.zip
Here's the Rhino file
(852.53 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Puya
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 am

I imagined it was for panallize!
The problem you are finding with T-Splines and paneling is common... But unfortunately there is no solution rather than paneling each surface separately.
You can merge the sides, but you will always have the top as a separate surface.
I can't think on other solution rather than panel each surface separately.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Puya » Tue May 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks a lot Juan. Your help was very useful for me to understand how t-splies work :) really appreciate the in-depth explanations.

Best
Puya
Poster

Return to Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino modeling