T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

T-Splines V4.0 for Rhino?

A support and feedback forum for Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino users.

T-Splines V4.0 for Rhino?

Postby Mark Landsaat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I know there's a lot of focus on developing T-Splines for Autodesk, but there is quite a large T-Splines for Rhino community out there. With Rhino V5.0 being officially released are we going to see development of a T-Splines V4.0 for Rhino?

In my opinion it would make a lot of people happy if some resources were dedicated to your already existing user base. Please give us some more information on what your plans will be with regards to this.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Landsaat
Poster

Re: T-Splines V4.0 for Rhino?

Postby carlbass » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am

We are committed to ongoing development of t-splines on Rhino. It's a community we want to support. We think Rhino and t-splines are a great match. We're adding more people to the team so they can continue to support the existing platforms as well as work on our new fusion 360 platform. I'm sure Matt and team can give you more specifics. Hope that helps

Carl
carlbass
Employee

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:58 am

Mark,

Thanks so much for asking your question! I'm about to jump on a plane, but I just wanted to vouch that this was Carl Bass, CEO of Autodesk, who answered you.

Will post more soon.

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby knead » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:25 am

Image... Yeah! I'm so happy! :D
knead
Poster

Postby Algus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 am

Matt Sederberg wrote:Mark,

Thanks so much for asking your question! I'm about to jump on a plane, but I just wanted to vouch that this was Carl Bass, CEO of Autodesk, who answered you.

Will post more soon.

Matt

Wonderful :D

About Fusion 360: if you're planning to make it available only as a cloud software...here we'll have a great problem, with a very very slow internet connection. :(

Al
Algus
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Ok, to follow up just a bit more, I wanted to confirm that the decision has been made to resume active development on T-Splines for Rhino.

This is somewhat of a change of direction from the guidance we had been giving our community over the past few months.

There is a lot of enthusiasm here for Autodesk Fusion 360 (which has T-Splines). This integrates T-Splines with direct solid modeling, with a very compelling cloud-connected infrastructure that focuses on workflow. I think this can bring a lot of value to our T-Splines for Rhino customers, especially to our smaller customers. I'd encourage you to learn more about Fusion 360 and sign up to be considered to try the beta.

However, Fusion 360 is not a replacement for Rhino. We realize that our users use Rhino for many reasons beyond just having T-Splines for Rhino, and the integration with T-Splines and Rhino is a good one that we spent years investing in. We don't want to dictate to our customers who want to use T-Splines which platform they need to use it on.

I don't have many more details to share at this point, but I'm really pleased to be able to share the news.

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby gerardsen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Matt and Carl,

Thank you for sharing this good news. I am dragging more and more people into using T-Splines for Rhino for ship hull modeling as I see great opportunities there. Leading companies and research institutes are considering using T-Splines for Rhino for that now.

Thank you,

Gerard Petersen

RhinoCentre.nl
gerardsen
Poster

Postby Travis Serio » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:10 pm

And there was much rejoicing!

Travis Serio
Poster

Postby mwm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Great news for sure and a Nice way to end the week :-)

Thank you!

Mark Morrell
mwm
Poster

Postby dylan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I would lie if I'd say I did believe that I will once read what was written here by Carl and Matt. You really surprised me and made me very, very happy.

Thank you!
My best wishes and greetings to your whole team.

Matthias
dylan
Poster

Postby Rob Dufault » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 pm

What terrific news!!!!

Many thanks to those making this decision.

Rob Dufault
Rob Dufault
Poster

Postby Mark Landsaat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Carl and Matt,

Well, let me start by saying I think it is fantastic that the CEO of Autodesk is willing to respond to a forum question. I appreciate that a lot.

The announcement however that active development will be resumed is really good news. You may have just made my weekend :) .

Matt, when you say you realize your users use Rhino for many reasons beyond just having T-Splines you make a very good point. I for one have started using Rhino more and more over the last few months as a tool. As a matter of fact I just upgraded to Rhino V5.0 and invested in the VSR shape modeling plugin. The trio Rhino, T-Splines and VSR shape modeling is a powerful one that helps me achieve my goals.

Very excited about the news and can't wait to see the enhancements that will come our way.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Landsaat
Poster

Postby Adam Helps » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Awesome, it's official! I'm really excited to improve the Rhino plugin; it's a product I'm proud of, and it's good to see it getting new legs.

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but since being acquired, the developers (including me) have really cut back on discussing features that we "might implement later." There is a good reason for this, and it boils down to being a big, public company--anything I say may be used by people to make stock-buying decisions. It can get legally complicated :).

That said, the developers do still read these forums, and we do care about your feedback on features you love, bugs you hate, features that need a little love, and features that would persuade you to buy another fifty licenses (the marketing guys love those). So please, keep up the praise/complaints :). We're not short on ideas to implement, certainly, but your feedback does help us know what you find important. Thanks!
Adam Helps
Employee

Postby taity » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:02 am

This is cool.

If Fusion360 got integrated CAM from the aquired HSM works, and was available off the cloud, as we have unreliable internet, I would be very keen.
taity
Poster

Postby Travis Serio » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:25 pm

i still want different colors for weighted edges.

extrude along curve

extrude along curve with x number of subdivisions

the ability to select multiple faces and scale them all in 2d 1 by 1 all at the same time based on their face normal. Think of a grid 5x5 of squares and each squares faces gets a scale2d face extrude.

pipe2d for flat for that gets thickened later.
Travis Serio
Poster

Postby Adam Helps » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Travis Serio wrote:i still want different colors for weighted edges.

We don't have weighted edges, but we do have creased edges. Is that what you mean? Marking creased edges would be nice.

Travis Serio wrote:extrude along curve

extrude along curve with x number of subdivisions

We've done extrude with x subdivisions in Fusion 360. Extruding along a curve will go on the wishlist :).

Travis Serio wrote:the ability to select multiple faces and scale them all in 2d 1 by 1 all at the same time based on their face normal. Think of a grid 5x5 of squares and each squares faces gets a scale2d face extrude.

How is this different from what you can do now? Specifically, right now you can select any number of faces, change dragmode to UVN, and then use the Scale manipulator. Is that what you are asking for? If not, would you please be painfully specific about the difference between that and what you want?

Travis Serio wrote:pipe2d for flat for that gets thickened later.

So this would basically thicken a curve into a flat surface? That's kind of interesting.

For now, these are going on a wishlist; I can't promise that any particular thing will make it in. But do please keep them coming :).
Adam Helps
Employee

Postby TomFinnigan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:00 am

Adam Helps wrote:
Travis Serio wrote:the ability to select multiple faces and scale them all in 2d 1 by 1 all at the same time based on their face normal. Think of a grid 5x5 of squares and each squares faces gets a scale2d face extrude.

How is this different from what you can do now? Specifically, right now you can select any number of faces, change dragmode to UVN, and then use the Scale manipulator. Is that what you are asking for? If not, would you please be painfully specific about the difference between that and what you want?

I think he means the option to keep the extruded faces together or not. In the 5x5 grid case, whether you'd end up with one 5x5 grid of extruded faces, or 25 separate extruded faces, like you'd get if you extruded one at a time.
TomFinnigan
Poster

Postby Travis Serio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:14 am

TomFinnigan wrote:
Adam Helps wrote:

I think he means the option to keep the extruded faces together or not. In the 5x5 grid case, whether you'd end up with one 5x5 grid of extruded faces, or 25 separate extruded faces, like you'd get if you extruded one at a time.

Toms with me. 25 separate extruded faces.

SNAG-0079.jpg
SNAG-0079.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 49464 times

As for pipe2d it would be much like a line extruded perp to the curve, along the curve. You'd specify the width of the faces instead of a radius.

SNAG-0080.jpg
SNAG-0080.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 49446 times

As for the weight comment. I should say "weighted points", but rarely do you weight just one point. You tend to add weight to points along edges. Later on in a model you begin to forget which points no longer have a weight value of 1. Having some sort of visual queue to identify and follow the non standard weighted points or edges would be great.

SNAG-0081.jpg

One more for the list.

Id also love the ability to insert edge loops where you just drag a line above and below a tspline and it inserts an edge loop with the option to unweld at the insertion point. (same functionality as Knife in lightwave).

SNAG-0076.jpg
SNAG-0076.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 49466 times

SNAG-0077.jpg
SNAG-0077.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 49466 times

SNAG-0078.jpg
SNAG-0078.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 49466 times
Travis Serio
Poster

Postby Kris-D » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 am

In addition to everything Travis mentioned above, it would also be nice to be able to thicken along a curve. Similar to the way you can extrude a surface along a curve in Rhino. If you could set the number of segments when thickening it would be even better.
Attachments
thicken_along_crv.jpg
extrude_along_crv_Rhino.jpg
Kris-D
Poster

Postby accesskb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 pm

I was wondering if there is a possibility to have a 'Shrinkwrap' tool in Tsplines, where we can take a model created with the basic rhino nurbs modelling tools, apply the shrinkwrap tool so we're left with one watertight tspline mesh model. Often times its much easier and quicker to model in rhino nurbs due to our project requirements. However, sometimes we need to 3d print or send a model for fabrication/prototyping but it can get very hard trying to attach the pieces into a watertight model if we've modeled in nurbs.

The 'shrinkwrap' tool would have adjustable settings that determine how accurate we want the shrink wrap, whether it'll ignore holes or left over spaces below a certain tolerance size we choose etc.
accesskb
Poster

Postby Nicholas North » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

Hi accesskb,

This is a good idea, but it's not easy.

For now, I might suggest the retopology snap tools as a possible way to do something similar. It's not push-button, but it will allow you to snap a model on to (or around) your NURBS.

-- Nick
Nicholas North
Employee

Postby laborda » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi all, it seems that is a good time to suggest enhancements, so I have 2:

- tsInsertEdge , i think that there must be an autoloop option when selecting faces, and a toggle option with selected only.
- retopo options, I'd like to prevent t-splines to snap to other ts meshes while drawing faces over a polysurface.

what do you think?
laborda
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Great feedback - thanks for the requests. We're now actively soliciting additional feedback for v4 - both along the lines of features you'd like improved, as well as at a higher level, problems you'd like to have solved with T-Splines that you can't do today.

Thanks!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby lukasz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm

What I would like to see in tsplines v4 is:
1) creasing only lines that I want passing throw star points
2) possibility to make continuus pair of lines at star point (tangent or even more)
3) function that could create virtual/automatic points that would always lie on line between normal points with some customizable ratio 0.5/0.5 or 0.6/0.4 etc regarding distance betweem them. This could help to smooth creases faster in next faces. Or some other function that would help to do it.

All of those would be very helpfull to add tsplines needed control to design ship hulls.
Attachments
hull.jpg
lukasz
Poster

Postby E3D » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Travis Serio wrote:TomFinnigan wrote:

Adam Helps wrote:

Here is a workaround I use for this situation:

-Create 5x5 grid (tsPlane) :tsPLane:
-Select all edges, tsUnweld
-Select all faces (in box mode), alt-scale (3D) with manipulator :ManipScale: in UVN dragmode to extrude faces individually
-Select all vertices, tsWeld :tsWeld:

5x5_extrudeFaces.jpg

Cheers,
Eric
E3D
Poster

Postby midnight.mangler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Any update on progress towards t-splines 4.0?

I am keen to buy rhino and a copy of t-splines but if a new version is imminent I will wait to save the upgrade cost. I seem to recall that we would hear more mid year about the progress there. Are there any updates that can be shared with us on the ETA / general development?

Thanks!
midnight.mangler
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi,

We are still progressing on development for v4. We should be sharing some updates within a few weeks.

Regarding purchasing, we're switching over to standard Autodesk licensing for this product and are planned to start shipping with that in a few weeks as well. You might be well off to wait until that is released; if you have any questions you can email tsplines.help@autodesk.com.

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby midnight.mangler » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:04 am

Any further updates?

I am really keen to buy this product but won't pull the trigger until I know when 4.0 will be released, the draft feature set and the licensing conditions. Can we expect some updates on that soon?
midnight.mangler
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 pm

midnight.mangler wrote:Any further updates?

I am really keen to buy this product but won't pull the trigger until I know when 4.0 will be released, the draft feature set and the licensing conditions. Can we expect some updates on that soon?

If you buy T-Splines v3 today, the licensing has now been switched to Autodesk licensing - you can get it and the details at store.autodesk.com. Next week, the first beta for v4 will be available.

Does that help?

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:11 am

The first phase of the v4 beta is now available.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Travis Serio » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:01 pm

E3D wrote:
Travis Serio wrote:TomFinnigan wrote:

Adam Helps wrote:

Here is a workaround I use for this situation:

-Create 5x5 grid (tsPlane) :tsPLane:
-Select all edges, tsUnweld
-Select all faces (in box mode), alt-scale (3D) with manipulator :ManipScale: in UVN dragmode to extrude faces individually
-Select all vertices, tsWeld :tsWeld:

5x5_extrudeFaces.jpg

Cheers,
Eric

Thats a great little work around! Very clever!

Loving the new tsKnife in the beta!!!

Can we make a request to get back the Extend All T-Points option that was in one of the old v3 WIPS that vanished? I would really love that for export compatibility to things like ZBrush that doesnt support TPoints or NGons. That and I just like Quads =)
Travis Serio
Poster

Postby TomFinnigan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:09 am

Travis Serio wrote:Can we make a request to get back the Extend All T-Points option that was in one of the old v3 WIPS that vanished? I would really love that for export compatibility to things like ZBrush that doesnt support TPoints or NGons. That and I just like Quads =)

I think it's in there, we just hid it in tsInsertPoint. Specifically, "tsInsertPoint ExtendTPoints".

Be a little bit careful when you run it though, it's possible to create a model where the number of extensions are very high. There is some code in there to stop it from being a truly infinite loop, but it can eat a lot of ram and might crash anyway. So save before using it.. :)
TomFinnigan
Poster

Postby Travis Serio » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Yeah, I had a person in class run it on a sea shell and it didnt end very well for them lol.

Good to know its still hidden in there. One of you guys told me a while back that it was removed due to the unpredictable nature of it on infinite loops? No worries. I am back in the hunt!
Travis Serio
Poster

Postby Ataraxia Guitars » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I've recently bought T-Splines and I extremely excited to hear that not only is development continuing on the Rhino plugin but that deeper integration with Grasshopper is coming!

Fantastic news!
Thanks for the great product!

Leo
Ataraxia Guitars
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks! We're a bit slower with the beta updates than we'd hoped since we're still integrating T-Splines creasing, but hope to have more updates soon.

Best,
Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby franky13 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Thats great news! Can't wait

Frankie Yepez
Motion Marketplace
franky13
Poster

Return to Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino modeling