T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

T-Splines 3.3 webinar recording / Q&A

A support and feedback forum for Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino users.

T-Splines 3.3 webinar recording / Q&A

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:12 pm

T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino is nearly ready for prime time. This is a release we are excited about. The main focus of the release is on helping you more easily use scanned data as a starting point for your T-Splines models.

Sky Greenawalt shares a sneak peak of T-Splines 3.3 over on his blog.

To learn more about the upcoming T-Splines 3.3 release, watch this recorded webinar:

Sky will be our guest as we introduce the new features of T-Splines 3.3. We'll also talk about how T-Splines 3.3 and his new EXAscan laser scanner are helping him turn out impressive, high quality aerospace surfaces in an excitingly short amount of time.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Re: T-Splines 3.3 sneak peak/webinar on Nov 29

Postby knead » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:27 am

Prior to the release of T-Splines V3.3... We are available the BETA or RC version? Image
Last edited by knead on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knead
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 am

knead wrote:Prior to the release of T-Splines V3.3... We are available the BETA or RC version? Image

Yes, hopefully in a couple of days...
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Just updated by embedding the recorded webinar at the top of the thread.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby knead » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Matt... :D Next webinar date --> 12/7 (not 11/29) Image
Attachments
webinar_date_error.jpg
webinar_date_error.jpg (74.63 KiB) Viewed 14062 times
Last edited by knead on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knead
Poster

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Here is the Q&A from the webinar. It is not in chronological order.

Q: but the new hud is good for the begainner:)
A: Good point. Agree. I guess we will still have it avaliable until all our generation is off :-)

Q: Claryfying: The Scanner is not able to look bejond corners and has a limited view angle...you might be forced to saw fysikal parts into pieces to be able to scan a complex inside. Sometimes X-RAYing would be nice to scan...Hans
A: got it- we arent; really concerned with how you get the scan, could be an arm, or laser, or xray, or mri...whatever- the assumption is you have a scan from somewhere (could even be imported or an surface model that is meshed). Once you have the scan, then you use the tools- there are so many methods for aquiring the scans, we leave that up to the user-

Q: Hair presentation is nice ..it would be nice with a haircut fuction on the hair visualisation function...Hans
A: lol!
A: you can change hair scale ;-) wish I could do that for MY head-

Q: Isn´t it very limited scanning inside surfaces like the inside of this airintake? Hans
A: can you clarify?

Q: Are mixed meshes problematic (Tri and Quadr)? Hans
A: No, mixed meshes are just fine.

Q: How would this workflow support multiple meshes? Is retopo looking at all meshes in the scene at once?
A: yep, it's pretty dumb - just looking for closest mesh point-
A: Yes, you don't need to specify a retopo mesh, it just snaps to all visible meshes and polysurfs in the scene. If there are multiple meshes, it will snap to the 'best' one: the closest to the camera in view mode, and the closest in world space in world snap mode.

Q: very very excting for me I reverse engineer every day
A: sweet! please try the beta and send us your thoughts! very much still in development-

Q: Here for Direct Dimensions Inc. Looking to see if this will help workflow of some future projects.
A: Please send us your feedback and thoughts!

Q: tsShiny does this look too
A: Yes, but you have only one shader.

Q: So Worldsnap is like a Projection in Worldplane, or is it a find closest Point?
A: World snap is similar to Rhino's Project command, but runs continuously as you move control points.

Q: but then usually the deviation will be very big
A: if you need a hard crease, then you could certaily just tscrease that edge and ten your deviation will be good-

Q: can i draw one tspline polygon after the other on the mesh..like a retopo in 3dcoat?
A: yep, you can append faces right on a mesh- like 3d coat, or topogun

Q: he talked about tsplines picking up the noise in bad scans..so it would be nice to be able to relax the tsplines surface after that
A: We don't currently have any automatic surface smoothing/relaxation. The best workaround I've seen is using tsFlattenPoints on rows of control points to flatten them.

Q: love to see the one quad after the other
A: yep, you can start with a single quad, and alt+drag new faces as needed-

Q: i meant if the scan had a hard edge how would he model around it?
A: either add a crease, or add more edges in that area

Q: can i draw one tspline polygon after the other on the mesh..like a retopo in 3dcoat?
A: Retopo snap works with tools like tsAppend, which is more similar to 3dcoat workflows.

Q: problem: the stronger the curvature the more deviation i will get..so in a model with slightly curved and strongly curved areas the deviation will vary a lot
A: You still need to think and make a nice topology plan to have good detail on some parts and less detail on others.

Q: is there a function in tsplines where i can relax the tspines mesh again after the retopo?
A: What do you mean with relax?

Q: now do the control point snap onto the mesh? meaning the surface is slightly below the mesh?
A: yes, sky will address this soon

Q: can he show how he would approach a hard edge in a model..i tried it with the old version and i had to manually break the edge each time and then the deviation became big
A: great question, we'll bring this up at the end.

Q: problem: the stronger the curvature the more deviation i will get..so in a model with slightly curved and strongly curved areas the deviation will vary a lot
A: Good point. You can always add more geomtry by subdividing. Maybe you will have more geometry than necesary on the smooth areas, but...., no problem, the surface will match better to the mesh.

Q: he talked about tsplines picking up the noise in bad scans..so it would be nice to be able to relax the tsplines surface after that
A: A smooth function like move uvn in rhino woudl be helpful- I'll keep bugging tom for that-

Q: can you use retopo snap on surfaces instead of meshes?
A: Retopo snap will snap t-spline control points to mesh, surface, and polysurf objects

Q: Old HUD is the best!
A: --unanswered--

Q: This Topo tool and the tsPipe are the most rocking tools. This is going to be a new fav for me.
A: dude...you have no idea... ;-) this stuff is sooooooo goood-

Q: Is this in the new 3.3 beta version?
A: yes. you can download and try it here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33958

Q: How does that work with extruding edges?
A: The new points on the extrusion are snapped. That's actually a pretty fast way to build out topology

Q: Is the retopo snap only active on the original verts, or is it per object. In other words, if you insert edges, will the newly created verts snaps snap by default, or do you need to run rotopo snap on those as well?
A: If you do simple insertion, then they will auto-snap. If you do 'exact' insertion, the new points don't snap, because that would make it not exact. We tried to include the retopo snap in every command that made sense.

Q: Who does Sky's hair?
A: a salad bowl and dog clippers

Q: When you push/pull those points, don't they snap back to the mesh. It looks like the goal in dragging the verts in UVN mode is to offset those points from the mesh a bit. Don't they come back to the mesh in the end resulting in the original shape?
A: I believe the retopo snap was turned off when he was doing that movement.

Q: So, in a simple insertion, the snap will be active? That's great, thanks.
A: Yes

Q: does the Retopo tool only work on this kind of mesh? i mean scaned data
A: No, It also works on surfaces and polysurfaces...., and T-Splines surfaces.

Q: would retopo work on a complex object like a go kart chasis where tubes come together in different angles?
A: I think it shoud. You still need to plan the topology in a wise way,

Q: question about t-splines: sometimes when i want to fillet and object that has been converted from ts to rhino, it wont work. Why is that ?
A: Not sure. If you send us example files (as t-splines) and how to get to the problem (convert to rhino surface, fillet this edge with 0.1 radius)

Q: would retopo work on a complex object like a go kart chasis where tubes come together in different angles?
A: If your shape is mostly tubes connected together, tsPipe might be a good starting point to get the initial topology easily.
A: ooooohhh that is a great idea! ts pipe the basic topo, then snap it...brilliant!

Q: Auxpecker it's now part of the aurora tools made by Riccardo Costantini.
A: cool thanks!

Q: could be useful to have a Cplane SnapIn option?
A: The world snap does often use the current CPlane, for example if you're creating new points with tsAppend it will pick a point on the cplane, and then pull that to the closest point on the mesh.

Q: how many people are online?
A: We had over 500 signups!

Q: I often draw new topologies this way instead of extruding edges over the snap surface
A: Yeah, I found out by testing these new tools that you can make a rought T-Splines surface and then refine it by retopology..

Q: the retopo is seriously very good
A: heheheheh- yeah we love this!!

Q: in character modeling I use it always to build a better mesh after sculpting the model - I hardly know anybody how does not use retopo in this industry - great to have this workflow now in Rhino for product design
A: cool! please send us your feedback and thoughts after you have used it for awhile- still very much in development-

Q: the retopo is seriously very good
A: we hope it's useful...

Q: Rhino on OS X is the Rhino 5 Kernel, will this mean T-Splines will soon be there for Mac as well?
A: Rhino on OS X doesn't have a programming interface yet, so external plugins can't yet be created for it. We're excited to get T-Splines working on OS X when McNeel releases the programming interface (SDK).

Q: Matt would Rhino allow you to use a tablet to sketch a grid line which T-Splines will convert into mesh lines and where they cross each other form polygon faces?
A: The retopo tools don't support this workflow directly. However, I think there's a Rhino Sketch command that will create curves on meshes or surfaces. Then you could use tsFromLines to get a usable mesh topology out.

Q: btw those auxpecker maps are sphere images you can paint in photoshop and thus simulate your own material types such as glossy diffuse rubber and color.
A: Thanks for the tip claas.

Q: btw those auxpecker maps are sphere images you can paint in photoshop and thus simulate your own material types such as glossy diffuse rubber and color.
A: yep- anything thrown in the environment slot will affect the reflection of the model

Q: Does RetopoTools need a Mesh to snap to or is a PointCloud OK?
A: Currently it only works on meshes and polysurfs, but I'll take a look at how hard it would be to get it working on point clouds as well.

Q: If using a poor mesh you need to be able to exclude a part from toposnapping.
A: yes. Almost complete manual work.

Q: Would be really nice to seen the same workflow on a PointCloud to :-)
A: World snap with no offset should be pretty easy to get working with point clouds. The view snap would be iffy, and offset would be difficult because points don't have a normal direction.

Q: Seems like I'm not the only OldHat in the Room :-)
A: Is hard to get used to the new one

Q: Used to be called Autodesk PhotoFly now Autodesk Catch. It's free, as in free beer.

Q: Would be interesting also to see the workflow on a poor mesh created via Autodesk Catch or similar cloud-based photogrametry software?
A: Yea, we need to try that...., but my thoughts are that if the mesh is too poor (dont define the shape to good), the T-Splines surface wont respond too good too.

Q: How did he delete all of the tangency handles in one go?
A: select all verts and run the remove creases command-

Q: Will T-Splines support the new http://www.food4rhino.com/ community with the Eval and/or Beta versions?
A: We've looked at it. I think there was a problem with our download files being too large to host on food4rhino.com, but I'll take another look and see if that's changed.

Q: How did he delete all of the tagency handles in one go?
A: tsUncrease and select all the tangency handles. I think there's a menu item to select tangency handles.

Q: any limitation with this?
A: The speed of the retopo snap depends on how many points you are moving at the same time, so if the t-spline is very dense, it may get too slow.

Q: do i need to purchase t-spline licence to use this 3.3 ver this link?
A: If you have a 3.x license, then it will work with that. If you don't have a license, then the 3.3 will behave like a demo (25 saves)

Q: create pipe, bend it, create ts_cylinder, then turn retopo on
A: Yeah, conbination off retopo and no retopo on the workflow is a perfect way to go.

Q: how many peoples connected now?
A: 200 and counting

Q: is it 32/64 bits available?
A: yes, there is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version available.

Q: i mean license limitation, or time limitation
A: oh for beta? just until the release comes out- then we'd expect you to use the official release-

Q: What are the main differences to usingdrape
A: drape is kinda arbitrary, this has much more control of the resultant surface

Q: How do you deal with holes/imperfections in the mesh ?
A: just build right over them!

Q: can you scale on the mesh
A: Yes

Q: does this workflow work on meshes with a lot of detail eg on a human face
A: Yes it does.You would need a denser T-Splines to copy the shape.

Q: To me, as an architect, T-splines appears to be the ideal software we need within formZ
A: What about the meta forms inside FormZ :-)

Q: Hi, as a formZ 6 and 7beta user I would like to know whether there will perhaps be a T-splines plugin available for us in near future. This would be absolutely fantastic. Thank you!
A: Thanks for the request! We'd like to understand the formZ market better to see what the use cases would be there. Any input is welcome.

Q: a closed surface like a human bone, more irregular curvature!
A: I think is perfect for that. I have been testing with that kind of shapes.

Q: a closed surface like a human bone, more irregular curvature!
A: should be no problem

Q: All these shapes are open, what about a closed meshed, will a t-spline primitive be snapped similarly?
A: yep- no problem- may require some thought on your part to close it inteligently, but there is no closed mesh limitation-

Q: tsoffset applies equally to all points? I would think you would not want to offset points on the edges...
A: you can set the offest, move a single point, then change the offset and move a different point- kinda tedious but works-

Q: how do you increase ts control point density?
A: There are several commands like tsInsertEdge, tsInsertPoint, tsSubdivide....

Q: Looks like future of Picture Frame. :)
A: I see your point ;-) a 3D picture frame

Q: When will final 3.3 build released?
A: within a couple of weeks

Q: In this version, can we project verts into surface/polysurf also?
A: Yes!

Q: TOM IN THE HOUSE!
A: it's toms house, we just visit-
A: :)

Q: How about wraping a torus around a ring shape?
A: Never try it, but it should work fine

Q: Would it make sense to use subdivide in this case? Might be faster and easier at the expense of some extra edges.
A: yes that is a great strategy

Q: Would it make sense to use subdivide in this case? Might be faster and easier at the expense of some extra edges.
A: sure could, but he's showing how you can add detail only where you need it as opposed to a subdivide that adds stuff you may not need- BUT, subdivide does work very very well-

Q: how many hours does it take to scan something like your car hood with the laser scanner?
A: not hours- it scans as fast as you can wave your hand-

Q: a general question about TSplines, can it be used with Grasshopper?
A: T-Splines does have some grasshopper tools, but it's not fully featured. See tsplines.com/grasshopper

Q: Ok, retopo snap and moving ... that is freakin cool!
A: yes- very very cool...and we have only scratched the surface of the intended, and more importantly the unintended capabilities of this tool- please make sure to send us your thoughts and feedback, this stuff is very much still under development-

Q: Agreed, I love the old style hud. The new one doesn't feel quite as intuitive.
A: i'm in that boat too-

Q: I just tried doing it on a Peep 3d scan that I did. Made a box and wrapped around it. It did work, it just needs a little tweaking here and there.
A: Thanks.

Q: Can you tell us the specs of your computer?
A: he has a new monster machine- I think it's less than a month old- Latest i7 processor and 12+ gb of ram- He has a lower level nvidia video card

Q: Hi all...South Korea am 2:00, and now comes the rain.
A: welcome Knead!

Q: Retopo i mean!
A: Its a beta. It will be up on a couple of weeks. You can still download the beta.

Q: What's up when you switch on rhino surface?
A: If you convert the T-Splines surface to Rhino it will antain the exact shape.

Q: is it alredy in tspline?
A: the snapped surfaces are tsplines

Q: I'm working on reverse engineering some high detailed surfaces.. Will t-splines be able to give me complex detailed surfaces (say surfaces that show a lot of minute ripples like on carpet) or like all other surfacing tools is t-splines all about smooth surfaces?
A: Too much detail would make the T-Splines surface super dense, which would make it really slow too and not practical. I would say that T-Splines is more to make smooth surfaces...

Q: can the retopo tool be found in the earlier version of t spline
A: No, it's new to 3.3

Q: I have a 3D scanner (Roland LPX-600) that I use for reverse engineer. I typically export files as point clouds, due to multiple scans.I use Geomagic to stich the point clouds together.
A: I think this could help.

Q: Matt will this be available as a video I can show my team. this will be very helpful for us
A: yep will be recorded and posted

Q: photofly by autodesk now changed to Autodesk® 123D™ Catch

Q: Be nice to cover non laser digitizers as well like an infinite 2.0 Romer
A: the process is essentially the same, we are assuming you will scan>conver to mesh, then use the retopo tools- so however you get to the base mesh is up to you- we are maily focused on the process after you have a mesh. It could even be an imported object converted to mesh in rhino

Q: Can you use retopo to snap to digitized points if you are not using a laser scanner but a digitizer that just gave you points?
A: We've had several requests to get the retopo tools working with point clouds in this webinar. Currently the tools don't work with point clouds, but we'll be looking at how well we can get them working with point clouds.

Q: would it work to start with quite a dense t-splines surface?
A: I always try to start as simple as possible, but anyworkflow that works for you, works for us! ;-)

Q: would it work to start with quite a dense t-splines surface?
A: It depends on the case, but I would say that most of the time starting with simple surfaces is better and easier.

Q: ...grab this primitive and just bump it. means what? Does the bump mean the application of the ReTopo command?
A: Yes. If the retopo snap is on all grips moved will be automatically snap.

Q: why is the primitive nudged after the retopo operation? Is this always done?
A: just to insure the snap

Q: This retopo tool is on T spline with Matrix 7 ? ;)
A: I haven't tested it in Matrix 7, but I believe it should.

Q: well, this is possible to use it with a very precise 3D scan ? Like a dental 3d scanner ? (25mu precision) ? This is for jewelry pieces.
A: Yes, this workflow will work with any scanner that can produce a mesh. I think Sky is going to talk about how to hit the tolerances you need.

Q: How large of a file was the hood scan .stl file?
A: about 30 MB

Q: Sky, Thanks for the powerful insight into the new TSplines tools. Once again your cutting the trail and showing how to get there. Long live the original HUD! Thanks.
A: --unanswered--

Q: Would it manage a really complex shape - like a human skull?
A: yep, if you can lay it out, the tool will snap-
Joe
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:56 pm

knead wrote:Matt... :D Next webinar date --> 12/7 (not 11/29) Image

Ah, thanks Knead. Just fixed it. BTW, where do you get all your animated gifs from? I feel so boring to respond with a smily from our forum... :?:
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Re: T-Splines 3.3 webinar recording / Q&A

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:13 pm

awesome video, thank you so much.

i see usage for this in jewellery by sculpting forms by hand in clay, (much more condusive for jewellers who are by nature "hand" artisans" scanning in with david laser scanner and mapping topology over it.. this usage had occured to me before in rhino but the heavy weight scans made it useless, with the ability to retopolize to a tspline this becomes a viable workflow again.

time to whip out my clay and laser scanner!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby knead » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 pm

For example: http://www.cute-factor.com/imlister.php ... ugo&type=e Image

There are more images of different styles.

I downloaded and then the images of the 50 X 50 pixel was stored separately.
In my case, I upload these images to my personal website and is being used. :lol:
Attachments
smilies.zip
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 317 times
knead
Poster

Re: T-Splines 3.3 webinar recording / Q&A

Postby Neil » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi, just catching up with 3.3.
Very nice present. Didn't expect extra functionality to arrive. :D
Thanks for the dedication to bettering things for your customers...
This will be very handy for Solidworks users if it lands in tselements too :wink:
It seems to be much the same as my recent request of Mark B. at Dezignstuff blog.
Regarding the webinars I really enjoy them. Really helpful and well done. 8)
One thing I did find a little lame for want of a better word is the way the retopo has to be 'bumped' to get it to snap. Could there not be a refresh button :idea: rather than resort to moving things?
Keep up the good work.
Neil
Poster

Return to Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino modeling