T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

Modeling challenge: vehicular models.

Share your T-spline images here.

Modeling challenge: vehicular models.

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:28 pm

Free vehicular modeling webinar: Nov 4, 2009, 12 noon Eastern. Link to recorded webinar.
Modeling challenge deadline: Dec 8, 2009

To participate in the challenge, it isn't necessary to make an entire car. Just make some part of a car with T-Splines: dashboard, rims, mirrors, auto body, etc. Renders are welcome but not necessary; the judging will be on the quality of the surface. The design does not need to be original.

The motivation behind this challenge is to show that T-Splines for Rhino can be used for complex surfacing for even the most demanding of applications, like automotive, and to provide users an opportunity to learn from each other.

We are pleased to announce that this challenge is being judged by James Carruthers and Kyle Houchens. James Carruthers is author of the acclaimed FORM VS. SHAPE advanced training Rhino tutorials, owner of Hydraulic Design, and Rhino user since 1997. Kyle Houchens, owner of The Outside Digital Art and Design, has modeled over 1000 vehicles for the toy and entertainment industries, and is an authorized T-Splines for Rhino trainer.

Please post any questions about any type of vehicular design on our forum. We'll show how to solve as many of them as we can during a webinar on Nov 4. Kyle Houchens will also participate at the webinar and show how to use T-Splines to add features to an existing car model. Link to recorded webinar.

To participate in the modeling challenge, upload your models to our forum. Other users and T-Splines employees will chime in with hints, comments, etc. If your model is confidential, please email it to me: matt@tsplines.com. The final judging will be by James and Kyle on entries submitted by the end of December 8, 2009.

1st prize: Certificate to put on your website and T-Splines T-Shirt. Your winning design will be on the front page of T-Splines, Inc. for a minimum of four weeks, included in the T-Splines newsletter, and featured in both the T-Splines and Rhino blogs. Also, you will win your choice of a free T-Splines v2 for Rhino license OR a free upgrade to T-Splines v3 when it is released (probably in late 2010).

2nd prize: T-Splines T-Shirt.

3rd prize: T-splines T-Shirt.

Prize to all: Chance to learn how to better use T-Splines!
Attachments
tspline car examples.png
tspline car examples.png (165.64 KiB) Viewed 36050 times
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Re: Modeling challenge: vehicular models

Postby JSantocono » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:53 pm

This is my first input for the challenge. Just a quick tuning to a car spoiler.
JuanS
Attachments
CarTunedFender.jpg
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Here's a link to the vehicular modeling webinar. Kyle did a great job showing how to use T-Splines for vehicular modeling--I'd highly recommend watching if you haven't had a chance yet.

http://vimeo.com/7441845
http://media.tsplines.com/vehicular/vehicularsmall.m4v (smaller)
http://media.tsplines.com/vehicularwebi ... narhd.html (larger)
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 pm

From urosh bizjak:

Looking and relooking the webinar I made this two pieces. Exported as .obj and rendered in C4D. Nothing special, just to share.

Great work! Thanks for sharing!
Attachments
hauba etc.jpg
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby fare » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Hello, my name is Fabio, I have been trying T.splines for Rhino
My proposal is a conceptual design of steering wheel.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adw_BbIKJow

Thanks, I hope your comments!!!
fare
Poster

Postby gurk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:55 am

ciao
this is my toy
giorgio
Attachments
car93.jpg
gurk
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 am

Very smooth model, gurk! Nice job.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby JSantocono » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 am

fare wrote:Hello, my name is Fabio, I have been trying T.splines for Rhino
My proposal is a conceptual design of steering wheel.............

Hi Fabio, nice concept. I like the middle part shape.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am

HI All!
Here is an entry from Industrial Designer Tommi Laiho ( www.tommilaiho.fi ). Its a concept of an Audi car.
Great Job Tommi! and thanks for sharing.

JuanS
Attachments
Audi A6 (1).jpg
JSantocono
Poster

Postby wzhgl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 am

cool good job!
wzhgl
Poster

Postby futureproof » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi

This is my entry a small sports car. It was good fun to make, although it was a bit ambitious to do a whole car. Matt I will email you the model for evaluation. Also big thanks for the last webinar with Kyles inspiration and showing the new tools it helped a lot.
t spline car.jpg

Kind regards

Jamie

http://www.zindesign.co.uk
Last edited by futureproof on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futureproof
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Cool model Jamie!.
I like very much the shape and the smoothness of the car.
Great job!

JuanS

The renders are very cool too
JSantocono
Poster

Re: Modeling challenge: vehicular models. New deadline: Dec 8

Postby J_B » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Here is my entry: A new retro Camaro TA. Single waterproof mesh!

Jaime B
Product Designer
http://advlife.net
Attachments
ta_jb02.jpg
Rendered in 3dmax
ta_jb02.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 34479 times
ta_jb01.jpg
Auxpecker
ta_jb01.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 34471 times
ta_jb00.jpg
Screenshot
ta_jb00.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 34464 times
Last edited by J_B on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
J_B
Poster

Postby futureproof » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi Jaime

Cool, looks great. Love the crisp edges you achieved.

regards

Jamie
futureproof
Poster

Postby Audiophile » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi guys.
The shortcut "T" for setting a pivot doesn't work for me.
what should i do?
Audiophile
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:38 am

Hi Audiophile,
T is the default hotket to change pivot of manipulator.......maybe you have another key set. Run tsOptions and on >T-Splines >Hotkey you can set it to the key you want. Remember that the T-Splines functions hotkeys are only avaliable when you are in EditMode ( HUD display on the viewport).
You can also use the Change pivot Icon.
Does this helps?

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby futureproof » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi All

A last minute entry, not sure if you are allowed more than one entry. Thought I would make something more organic see what Tsplines could allow me to make. Sort of ran out of time on this one but thought id show it anyway.
I have emailed the file to Matts address for evaluation.
rhino.654.jpg

rhino.655.jpg

ScreenShot353.jpg
ScreenShot353.jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 29338 times

Regards

Jamie
Last edited by futureproof on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
futureproof
Poster

Postby fare » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi everybody!

JuanS, Thanks for your comment .......I am leaving another post for you to look at, it's a car concept, with rims and steering wheel.

I hope you guys like it and I'll be expecting your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuTx2hSwro :wink:

Thanks

FABIO RIOS
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
render volante.png
fare
Poster

Postby stef » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:44 pm

hy matt,
i send u a concept car yesterday, as u know...but i can not see it on the web page ;) the real reasons why im writins to u is: it is very nice to help t-splines and partecipate to the vehicle competition but few of us can not really send the 3d model to the judges due to copyright/patent reasons. if they need some images in wireframe no problem but the model send to them is a limit for the competition itself.
keep going :D rhino should thanks u day and night, without it, the program would be a bit better then autocad for organic modelling eheheh
thankstef
product/vehicle designer
stef
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:00 pm

stef wrote:hy matt,
i send u a concept car yesterday, as u know...but i can not see it on the web page ;) the real reasons why im writins to u is: it is very nice to help t-splines and partecipate to the vehicle competition but few of us can not really send the 3d model to the judges due to copyright/patent reasons. if they need some images in wireframe no problem but the model send to them is a limit for the competition itself.
keep going :D rhino should thanks u day and night, without it, the program would be a bit better then autocad for organic modelling eheheh
thankstef
product/vehicle designer

Hi Stef,

Sorry that I've been slow uploading your image. Here it is now (attached). Great work, as always. Thanks for sending this.

The purpose of the competition was to show that T-Splines is different from other modelers that produce organic shapes, in that T-spline models are smooth and able to be passed downstream to solid modeling packages. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell that from just an image. If you are able to share your model with me to pass onto our judges, I can assure you they will destroy it after completing the judging. However, I understand your concerns.

Best,
Matt
Attachments
dragona by stefano ceppi2 copy.png
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Excellent job, Fabio. Thanks for making a video--I've embedded it with my comments here:

http://t-splines.blogspot.com/2009/12/t ... el-3d.html

Nice steering wheel, too. I was hoping to see a component like that. Just curious--did you use the bridge command?

fare wrote:Hi everybody!

JuanS, Thanks for your comment .......I am leaving another post for you to look at, it's a car concept, with rims and steering wheel.

I hope you guys like it and I'll be expecting your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuTx2hSwro :wink:

Thanks

FABIO RIOS
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby fare » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:16 am

Hi Matt:

Thanks for your comment .... Answering to your question, yes, i made, i developed the steering wheel and the wheel using the bridge command.

Kind regards,

Fabio Rios
fare
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Thank you to everyone who participated in the challenge. The winners have been announced on our blog
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Holger Jahns » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:39 am

Matt Sederberg wrote:Thank you to everyone who participated in the challenge. The winners have been announced on our blog

Congratulations to everyone!

Matt - regarding your comments on topology differences between SubD-models and Tsplines...
Is it in your plans to at some point add an automatic analysis which optimizes the Edge-Flow of a Model built following SubD-paradigms while converting it to Nurbs? As the topology-differences appear in a predictable manner this to me seems to be a suitable area of at least partial automation...
Maybe it's just me, but it feels kinda painful to manually destroy the harmonic lines of a well made
Mesh model by deliberately creating T-Points.And - frankly - I am equally hesitant to add these odd looking T-Junctions when starting a Tspline-Model from scratch...

cheers, Holger
Holger Jahns
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:48 am

Holger Jahns wrote:
Matt Sederberg wrote:Thank you to everyone who participated in the challenge. The winners have been announced on our blog

Congratulations to everyone!

Matt - regarding your comments on topology differences between SubD-models and Tsplines...
Is it in your plans to at some point add an automatic analysis which optimizes the Edge-Flow of a Model built following SubD-paradigms while converting it to Nurbs? As the topology-differences appear in a predictable manner this to me seems to be a suitable area of at least partial automation...
Maybe it's just me, but it feels kinda painful to manually destroy the harmonic lines of a well made
Mesh model by deliberately creating T-Points.And - frankly - I am equally hesitant to add these odd looking T-Junctions when starting a Tspline-Model from scratch...

cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Thanks for your note. The problem is that models created following strict subd-paradigms are not as smooth when converted to NURBS as those that use T-points. Since star points (which abound in subd modeling) are only g1 smooth, Rhino will not allow us to do anything besides split up the NURBS at every star point.

Also, regarding adding "odd-looking T-junctions", I think this might be an area of user education that we need to do a better job at. I frankly think they look prettier than star points for ending detail since they are smoother! :D But, seriously, thanks for voicing your concern--what makes you hesitant to add T-points in your model? Does it somehow make it seem like you have less control over the surface since T-points might still be somewhat foreign?
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Holger Jahns » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Matt Sederberg wrote:Thanks for your note. The problem is that models created following strict subd-paradigms are not as smooth when converted to NURBS as those that use T-points. Since star points (which abound in subd modeling) are only g1 smooth, Rhino will not allow us to do anything besides split up the NURBS at every star point.

Yes, I understand that problem, at least at a superficial user-level :).
Matt Sederberg wrote:Also, regarding adding "odd-looking T-junctions", I think this might be an area of user education that we need to do a better job at. I frankly think they look prettier than star points for ending detail since they are smoother!

Yes, when looked at in Rendered Viewmode...
Matt Sederberg wrote::D But, seriously, thanks for voicing your concern--what makes you hesitant to add T-points in your model? Does it somehow make it seem like you have less control over the surface since T-points might still be somewhat foreign?

I was talking about the mesh-flow.
Every Mesh-modelers instinct is to keep a model all Quads, to avoid Ngons and Tris. The result is beautiful to look at. While the the car-model you altered performs way better at conversion time it looks - ugly and "wrong" in comparison, at least when judging from the mesh-topology alone. This is
why I am hesitant to add these modifications manually - and I guess I am not alone with this.
That is why I proposed to perform the necessary mesh-adaptions as a - at least partially automated
process - when converting from imported meshes.

Edit: I should have said "when Converting from Tsplines to Nurbs". I guess it was the easiest for everyone who is trained in SubD-modeling to simply go on working like he/she is used to from
Modo/Silo/Hexagon... whatever SubD-package.
Holger Jahns
Poster

Re: Modeling challenge: vehicular models.

Postby archebald23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

i like the alloy looking car, these are very creative stuff, if these are the cars of the future, id be scared. :lol: they look like they're gona come to life any minute. car parts are getting more innovative, led headlights, heated carpet, driver free cars.. future automotive would be very interesting.
archebald23
Poster

Return to Gallery