T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

Chris's Stuff.

Share your T-spline images here.

Chris's Stuff.

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 am

hey all..

I get around a little bit in jewellery circles and just recently I decided to poke a stick at Tsplines after avoiding it for ages...

I started playing with it 2 days ago and applied some of that "lurnin" to a paying job in this "Isle of Man" signet. I butchered some of the methods from your tut videos in my approach to generating the objects but .. uhh who cares, long as they work ;)

this was a longer workflow than RhinoArt but.. so much nicer..

curves.jpg

tsplines1.jpg

1.jpg

my wife is buying (has bought?) already.
great product. no doubt you will hear more from me as i ramp up the learning curve.
Last edited by Chris Botha on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Re: Chris's Stuff.

Postby Kev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey Chris,

Nice to see you over here. Nice work on that Snake ring! I haven't been back on 3dcad Jewelry in awhile.

Kevin
Kev
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to T-Splines!
Nice work.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:56 pm

heheh thanks guys.. the "ring" is actually a huge bangle.. im stressed about it casting ok.. even hollows its clocking up over 100gr in white...

On the up side the client wants two copies now :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Yikes, that's going to be a fun one Chris. Good luck with the casting. I'll be interested in hearing how it turned out. :D

Kev
Kev
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Pretty work, Chris. Welcome to T-Splines!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 am

I had a bit more of a scratch.. this time insert edge and radial symmetry commands :)

tsplines.jpg

pretty groovy
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

My wife made me stop moddeling this one.. apparently i was over focussed....

On a serious note tho.. I have never been able to "sculpt" until I tried this... I finally feel like i can take on jobs now that require sculptural type effect.. my toolbox has grown....

My first ever attempt at human form. I got stuck here .

One question.. apologies on the model but it serves as a good example of an issue I have.. when i start from a box like that, everything is "square".. how would i do this better to make her legs and arms rounded?
Attachments
edit.jpg
Last edited by Matt Sederberg on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to help keep the focus on the question asked in the post
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Chris, you Aussie guys just like to make trouble, don't you. :lol: I would approach this using a Sphere primitive and adjust the number of faces when you create the sphere. Here's where you do that. Then you can extrude faces from there to get your shapes you want and sub-divide as well.

Kevin

PS: Keep it PG rated will ya? I'm a conservative fellow. :wink:
Attachments
Chris Boobs.jpg
Kev
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks dude, I will give that a whirl.. I am running out of saves... So didn't save miss geniality up there.. Just that screen cap unfortunately.

I had hoped to port this to messiah and do my first fully fledged ik chain animation... But got frustrated at the bobbly bits. Could not get them right... And this was truly a form exercise, anyone can make a humanoid shape but to make it female or male specifically is the challenge IMO, Is there a command that rebuilds in similar fashion to rhino surface rebuild?

In the case of the ouroubus the head was a plain burbs sphere, I cage edited unroll I got the basic head shape, which left a heavy and wonky surface but quick rebuild to 20 x 20 uv and it smoothed it all out nicely, granted some stuff was lost but it was easily poked back into position by prodding edit points.

I guess I'm asking if there is a general "softener" other than tsmakeuniform? I had reasonable success by going in and deleting edges in high density areas that looked over engineered but still had that "square" look you see there.

Is it possible to grab an entire edge loop for example and "relax" it .. Say one from her upper leg area for example that would take it from being a soft square to a more oval or circular shape.

Lastly sorry bout bizarre typos.. Retarded iPad autocorrect.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Hey Chris,

I hope you don't mind my editing your picture a bit. I like to keep the forum family friendly. Besides, it seemed like you weren't having the square problem in those parts of the model. :)

I've heard that comment from a few designers -- that T-Splines lets them take on sculpting-like jobs that they were leery to commit to before.

Re: Spheres, they sometimes cause problems as a starting primitive because of the collapsed vertices on the top and bottom. We're trying to crank a quadball primitive out before v3 is released--we'll see if we get there. In the meantime, I'd recommend starting with a box. If you're using T-Splines v3, you can use the tsPull command to suck the box control points to a NURBS sphere and make your own quadball primitive that way.

tsMakeUniform is currently the only "relax" command. If it's still boxy after that, run tsStandardize to see if there are any edges that are required by the math that we've hidden.

tsMatch in v3 will let you match an interior edge loop to a curve. So if you wanted part of your model to be a perfect circle, you can do that. Also, in ts3, I think you could probably lay out much of this human using the Pipe command -- doing a stick figure of the human with curves, then making a ton of variable radii.

Hope that helps!

Matt
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:23 am

Cool! No worries on the edit,

Tspipe.. Ya that does look good. Just occurred to me that a series of circles representing ankle..knee..thigh..waist etc then lofted would give a better definition to form... I am actually quite excited bout it all.

Will poke a stick at it again after my week down the beach!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:37 am

Matt Sederberg wrote: In the meantime, I'd recommend starting with a box. If you're using T-Splines v3, you can use the tsPull command to suck the box control points to a NURBS sphere and make your own quadball primitive that way.

Thanks Matt,

I didn't know that and that's a good tip. :D I'll be using that a lot.

Kevin
Kev
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 am

no one will be paying me for this but it was a fun way to explore my new found "sculpting" skills ;)

screencap

raw material.jpg

vray render

hands.jpg

i left a howto on my workflow here.. please feel free to have a peek and critique.. sculpting so isnt my thing...

http://3dcadjewelry.com/forum/entry.php ... -T-Splines
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:47 am

YAAAAAWn.. ok enough tsplines for now.. gotta get back to the real world..

this was easier and easier to do.. similar worflow to hands, cept i projected my mouth/eyes/nose curves onto a sphere, rebuilt my sphere itself and ran "extract wireframe" to extract teh whole lot.. some trim (apparent intersections = true) and the head was basically done... the shank was similar to hands model..

test.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 am

Chris Botha wrote:YAAAAAWn.. ok enough tsplines for now.. gotta get back to the real world..

this was easier and easier to do.. similar worflow to hands, cept i projected my mouth/eyes/nose curves onto a sphere, rebuilt my sphere itself and ran "extract wireframe" to extract teh whole lot.. some trim (apparent intersections = true) and the head was basically done... the shank was similar to hands model..

test.jpg

Not sure I exactly followed how you got this done -- but I like the result!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 pm

uhh hard to explain.. basicaly drew out curves flat.. then made a domed "face" shaped, projected the curves onto it and tssplit, tsskin'd it.

(side note here.. this failed repeatedly in some attempts with "could not compute fit" or somethign similar, so i cheated, i rebuilt all curves to 2 points and degree 1, then extracted points, i used the points to make a meshfrompoints surface and then converted that back to tsplines.)(hope that makes sense?)

this method puts the right shape curves for the mouth and the eyes in the right place for a bogan sculptor like myself.. a little more input time but a faster development once you have the surface built. I am not saving much of the stuff i do now (still waiting on the department of finance to authorise the spend) so no screen caps of that unfortunately..

but i did try regular style modelling too.. this one i took screen caps of the workflow. once again I am not a sculptor so shaping stuff is hard for me.. i cheated by starting out with a cageedit nurbs sphere.. cageedit, rebuild, cageedit, rebuild etc etc then poke points around once im close enough.. finally convert to tsplines to go in after detail.

faster than it sounds.

images in sequence of instructions. I had to stop because my inability to understand human form makes it hard for me to model stuff like the nose and mouth properly so i loose interest...

images start.jpg

front cgaeedit.jpg

side cage edit.jpg

tsplined.JPG

poke and prod side.JPG

poke and prod front.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

thought i would thriw this in here.. the Isle of Man model from the previous page, cut to wax.. its a tiny head section, only 7 x 5 mm so not easy to photograph.. but fwiw here you go, I doubt i will see this finished in gold, its for our other branch.

DSC_0010.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:29 am

wooooohooo after this job my wife finally let me spend some money on toys.. my order for tsplines just went through :)

this job could have been as easily completed in plain ol rhino but i was having too much fun with symmetry...

tsplines_ring.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:19 am

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tspipe.. OMFG why didnt someone tell me about this? LOVE IT!

tspipe.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:14 pm

im getting right into the tspipe now!

started with a network of curves and 3 torus primitives.. this type of thing is usually done by hand, wax pipe dribbled onto a ring-stick.. not easy to model... it has a uniquely.. uhh.. lumpy look.. and is typically made by "arteeest" type jewellers.. usually I would pass up on modelling this type of job.

this was the brief image.. the "look"
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.97 KiB) Viewed 596178 times

and I had to draw around a1.15ct and a few smalls to arrive here

multiview.jpg

the longest part of this job was the bridging and welding from the pipes to the torus'...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 am

since im going for broke anyhow ill post this up.. not a paying job, i was trying to model a shaver..
400_F_5754671_1fhlJ4gtybRFc5iCgwPlr4jQTEgKSRvJ.jpg
400_F_5754671_1fhlJ4gtybRFc5iCgwPlr4jQTEgKSRvJ.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 596166 times

dont ask why, it seemed like a fair thing to do at the time.. into the initial stages i got carried away and turned it into a ring... i dunno.. sometimes i worry bout myself..

tsplinesedges.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 am

Chris, I can't count how many models you've thrown up in the past couple of days, nice work! Do you always churn out this many new models a day? Pipe is a nice tool. Have you tried it with Rhino history yet?
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:21 pm

nah mostly only one or two a day, I have a full time job and two businesses so I'm reasonably busy in terms of modelling, but most of these were just playing around to learn tsplines..

Tspipe is my new best friend... :)

i have found ways to cheat my inability to sculpt... i revisited the hand sculpt..

;)

1: layout curves, then tspipe
tspipehand.jpg

2: bridge internal faces
tspipehand2.jpg

3: delete remaining face, fill hole.
tshand fill hole.jpg

easy peasy...
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby da6d2003 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Chris Botha wrote:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tspipe.. OMFG why didnt someone tell me about this? LOVE IT!

tspipe.jpg

LOL, tell me about it! Take a look at my entry in the last competition.

As you probably know, it wasn't there in the previous version. It does ROCK!
da6d2003
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 pm

link? I cant find a competition... (i have "man eyes" my wife says...)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:45 am

the wife decided seh is going to wear the "hands" ring.. go figure.. I make her fantastic diamond jewellery, awesome pendants, ornate custom work.. it just lays in a box.. i knockup a silly exercise and this she WILL wear..

women...
DSC_0547.JPG
DSC_0547.JPG (68.18 KiB) Viewed 596128 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 am

Nice "hug ring" Chris, thanks for sharing.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 am

Chris Botha wrote:the wife decided seh is going to wear the "hands" ring.. go figure.. I make her fantastic diamond jewellery, awesome pendants, ornate custom work.. it just lays in a box.. i knockup a silly exercise and this she WILL wear..

women...
The attachment DSC_0547.JPG is no longer available

lol.

BTW this reminds me of some chocolate hands that Juan made for us a couple years ago.
Attachments
EasterEgg.jpg
EasterEgg.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 596117 times
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

nice!

i did same thing rotating the hands before i realised the thumbs have to both be up!

I also have two left feet btw!

:roll:

ill post pics of the finished ring once its cast :)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby da6d2003 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Chris Botha wrote:link? I cant find a competition... (i have "man eyes" my wife says...)

OMG, that would have been helpful huh? My wife says the same thing toooooooooooo.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31245&p=38302#p38302
da6d2003
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 pm

i posted this over on 3dcadjewelry.com thought i would share here too..

Full circle Tsplines TSPIPE workflow..

this was fun.. albeit a test of ram limits in 32bit rhino.. carefull meshing required to avoid crashes...

basic fram knocked up with tspipe, this will go into my MASTERS job bag for reuse.

Applied radial symmetry X 21 (in this case) and edge welded the loose ends after tmeaking around stone.

Mirror result over world origin with rhino history ON, tweak one claw = tweak all claws!

weld centre verts, render!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 am

i have a wife going spare if anyone wants.. no sooner does she cnc the hands thing than she changes her mind... actually suppose im lucky she changed her mind before it was commited to gold...

heart hands2.jpg
heart hands3.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 am

Chris Botha wrote:i have a wife going spare if anyone wants.. no sooner does she cnc the hands thing than she changes her mind... actually suppose im lucky she changed her mind before it was commited to gold...

heart hands2.jpg
heart hands3.jpg

The hands/heart idea was your wife's? Not bad! I like it! I have to admit though that I'm always sure my wife's preference for jewelry from me involves hearts, and I've learned she's not quite as sappy as I am :).
Matt Sederberg
Employee

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 am

hehe .. ya all her ideas are good AND more importantly RIGHT.. never argue with a wife, cuz even if you win.. you loose..

i spend best part of an hour trying to figure out how to model this.. then after 3 failed attempts i fell back on tspipe.. I find that with some forethought tspipe can get out of sticky spots a bit.. the autoweld functionality is a littel funky around large amounts of curve ends but if you tspipe in sections then manually weld the pipes to each other it is a sweet tool..
Capture.JPG

octopus.3dm
(129.59 KiB) Downloaded 9631 times
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

and yet another ring.. onto a winner with tspipe and torus primitives ;)

ringtsplines.jpg

ring.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 am

not sure really about this one.. technicolor acid trip daisy?

flower.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:53 am

these half hoops (insert local name here) have always been a MAJOR pita..

until now :)

tsplineshalfhoop.jpg

halfhoop.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 pm

finally starting to see models come back in gold..

This was my very first paying tsplines jobby.. not a big job by any means but interesting, the ring has hallmarks virtually all around the interior and the client wanted none of them damaged...

urghhh
IMG_1038.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 am

goofy went wonky mwhahaahhaaha

started out with a pencil sketch off the web.. kinda rolled out different.. but hey! its all FUN!

Tspipe Skeleton

tspipe skeleton.jpg
tspipe skeleton.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 596975 times

and some tweaking :)

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:19 am

been playing a little more!

fashion acc test1.jpg

glasses.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby ernchesto » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 am

Love the dog. That's awesome!
ernchesto
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 pm

hehehe.. thanks. on one of my other forums their has been some debate about the dogs posture.. apparently he looks about ready to have a bowel movement ;)
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 pm

this is a company logo, a stylised hawk type thing flipped and rotated around the band... much easier to model in Tsplines... harder to clean up in 18ct and Plat...

note because I CNC myself I dont even need to bother making it a closed object tho.. I can see all you folks that send out for RP going green.... ;)

raw casting

preclean

and finished, sorry bout the "workshop" pics.. but may be interesting for folsk that are not jewellers to see some of the process from screen to finger :)

Chris Botha
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am

Yea Chris, I love to see the process!
Thanks for sharing.
JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Darrin Smith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 am

Your stuff is so awesome. Keep posting more I love to see it.
Darrin Smith
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm

(cleaned thread, removed all non tsplines related stuff)
Last edited by Chris Botha on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:22 pm

my second, uhh.. snake/dragon ?? project.. pleased to say this one went WAY faster than the previous one thanks to tsplines...

sometimes I like Tsplines.. the rest of the time i LOVE it!

(project will be finished in Zbrush tho.. scales etc)

Capture.JPG
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 am

finished up.. not the greatest scales but done in rhino.. heap of spheres , BD..

beauty of my game is that is i can polish the living daylights out of things to make them .. uhhhh organic ;)

dragon charm.jpg
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 am

Chris,

Great pic of the Casting. The dragon came out very well.

Kev :D
Kev
Poster

Next

Return to Gallery