T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino v3.4 Download
Autodesk tsElements v1.2 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

The baby lost

Share your T-spline images here.

The baby lost

Postby CarterTG » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:31 pm

August & September were particularly productive months where I acquired a reasonable grasp and comfort in using T-Splines. Unfortunately, this enthusiasm distracted me from my normal dilligence and as a result a catastrophic hard drive occured in October before I was able to replicate/backup the data. Long story short, all that's left is a lone screenshot of one of the T-Spline projects, so it might as well be shared...

TSplinesBabyAJ.jpg
Client's baby from a single reference photo

Just a first-ever exercise in character modeling for me, so nothing crucial.
CarterTG
Poster

Re: The baby lost

Postby Matt Sederberg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

The lone surviver!

Sad, but thanks for sharing. Not bad for your first ever character model!

BTW, I'm sure you know of lots of data backup services; the one I prefer is dropbox.com. It also syncs files between computers.
Matt Sederberg
Employee

The baby gained

Postby CarterTG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:15 am

It took the birth of our newborn to finally revisit a project on my redo list.

This is straight-up T-Splines surface modeling. No texture-mapping was involved to cheat-out the shadow detail.

Nuances in the four variations are the result of some quick'n'dirty defining Selection Sets (eyelids and mouth corners) followed by pivoted manipulation

If there was ever the slightest question of the applied value of video tutorials and past webinars? You're seeing the results of that accumulated knowledge.

TSplinesBaby.jpg
Baby daughter via T-Splines

TSplinesBabyML.jpg
Flamingo nXt rendered results
CarterTG
Poster

Postby Matt Sederberg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 am

Wow. Well done!
Matt Sederberg
Employee

The baby gained

Postby CarterTG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks Matt

Most challenging part of anatomy? Human ear. It took three mulligans to settle on using tsPipe as the starting point.

TSplinesBabyDeets.jpg
Spline Detail
CarterTG
Poster

Postby Chris Botha » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:49 pm

awesome job!
Chris Botha
Poster

Postby hamed.tba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:01 am

really awesome work and absolutely strong hand ;)
good luck and keep posting this perfect works
hamed.tba
Poster

Postby gpal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 am

Very impressive,nice work.
gpal
Poster

Postby Greg @ JNJ WoodWorks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 pm

That's the most incredible work I've seen.

The ear is amazing.

I've gone thru most of the webinars. In your opinion, which webinar had the most benefit for this type of modeling?

How long have you been modeling?

Beautiful work CarterTG
Greg @ JNJ WoodWorks
Poster

Postby da6d2003 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Inspirational is all I'm going to say.
da6d2003
Poster

Re: The baby gained

Postby da6d2003 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:52 pm

CarterTG wrote:If there was ever the slightest question of the applied value of video tutorials and past webinars? You're seeing the results of that accumulated knowledge.

Amen
da6d2003
Poster

Re: The baby found

Postby CarterTG » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks everyone.

The total accumulated years I've practiced at 3D character modeling? 0.16

You read that right. From the total time I spent modeling the first baby back in 2010 to the recent revisited character model -- that's about two months of accumulated tinkering.

How long have I been using T-Splines? Joined the fold in summer of 2010. 'Bout 22 months as of this post.

What other 3D programs had I been exposed to prior to this? Aside from starting with a bare version of Rhino 4 a few years prior to T-Splines? NONE. Previous formal training? None. Any prior human characters modeled before this? None.

For many of you prospective users, this shows how graspable T-Splines is. Matt and crew have done a stellar job at doing all they can in offering up free tutorials, free webinars, and encouragement in this forum. Show users how to use your product and users will purchase and USE the product. Gee, what a novel idea. :P Other 3D products like Luxology's modo? Pay up for their video training. Even McNeel doesn't do such a great job at strengthening its user base by thorough free learning materials. Rhino's free training manuals are OK if a bit dry and their silently sterile video clips through RhinoTV are no better than the manual!

Don't misunderstand, as in all things, not everyone's going to be proficient character modelers just by touching T-Splines. In my opinion, you're still going to need to bring some existing skills to the table. I may be very rusty since my semester in life-drawing class, but I think I still have a critical eye in judging proportions, character lines, surface shading, basic anatomy, etc. T-Splines will simply let you extend those things into the 3D realm in one of the most approachable ways possible. I fully expect there to be MANY others reading this right now that can & will far surpass me in character modeling.

Even as recent as 2010, I was still apprehensive about tackling any 3D project. Could I do it? Will it turn out? Will I hit a solid wall halfway stumping me? After going through every T-Splines video I could lay my eyeballs on (this site, YouTube, Vimeo, etc) I could feel my confidence taking root throughout the following year. Now approaching my 2nd year of use and practice, T-Splines is my trusted tool that delivers for me. Bring it on.

There's no ONE webinar that's the watershed moment. If you're astute, they should ALL have something to teach. Some great. Some small. Along the way, you'll learn some fantastic tips, some new concepts, some idiosyncracies, and ways to get AROUND them. If I had the time (and with a newborn, I don't) I would probably suggest a view order for the various videos and webinars. If you'd like to follow my footsteps, watch them in the chronological order they were released and you should get most of the way there. Just because a video isn't focused on characters doesn't mean it has nothing to teach you. Kyle's webinars on car modeling has a lot of solid stuff that directly applied to character modeling.

Learn to know and predict what certain tools and actions will do to a model before you even touch the mouse. Learn when it's most appropriate to select/move/scale things based on grabbing vertices, splines, or faces. Learn how to leverage Rhino's own bend and shear tools on T-Spline vertices. Practice dealing with star-points and T-junctions so you know how far you can comfortably take them. Practice pre-planning when laying out structures so that you don't end up attempting to weld one surface edge containing 5 segments to another edge with 47 segments! Learn to search the forum for questions that have already been answered ad-nauseum rather than posting "What do red dots mean?" for the umpteenth time. Learn what causes bad/risky/problematic geometry. Learn to appreciate box mode AND smooth mode and how each benefits the modeling process. Consider that T-Splines allows multiple ways to get to get to similar topologies. Go out of your way to practice all those possible ways.

Once you know those T-Splines specifics, venture out like I did and look at tutorials like the one I pointed out from Andrew Klein:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34393

Andrew's videos should be used as the basic workflow, but tempered with best-practice "rules" of T-Splines.
CarterTG
Poster

Postby Greg @ JNJ WoodWorks » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:31 am

Great advice.

Thank You.
Greg @ JNJ WoodWorks
Poster

Postby SDS » Sun May 13, 2012 5:04 am

You sir, are an Artist (and obviously a proud Father too). Amazing work.
You must finish this model with ZBrush, Modo, or whatever package you choose.
SDS
Poster

Postby manofmettle » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 am

nice work! can you show the reference image?
manofmettle
Poster

Postby mspline » Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 am

simply stunning-!
mspline
Poster

Return to Gallery